Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

(Topic created on: 12-02-2020 06:31 AM)
GinKage
Apprentice
Options

Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.

The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:

Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg

Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.

The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).

Hopefully Samsung will be able to get around to fix this problem in a future system update, as it only requires them to add a single xml file to the system image...

248 REPLIES 248
Khanhee
Apprentice
Options

+1000.

Seriously, it makes no sense for Samsung to remove this functionality; it requires no effort on their part to leave it untouched when it was fully functional on Android 9 and was a launch feature. Many bought this phone for it's VR capabilities. 

Samsung, please add this functionality back!

JerryR
Explorer
Options

I was part of the UI 2.0 beta and reported that it wasn't working for multiple builds. Samsung beta team did reply to me saying that it was just due to it being a beta build but that it would be resolved in the final build. But it still doesn't work and I no longer have the beta app installed after updating to the final version so I can't reach back out. Here's hoping they fix it in the February update. 

Crapola
First Poster
Options
I would expect that a crack coding team behind the android features should be able to push out an update for this problem pretty quickly.
VRGeek
First Poster
Options
Yes, as I purchased my note 9 as it was both Daydream and GearVR compatible, and did not upgrade note 10, as my Phone is still the best VR media player on the market.

At least until we get a Quest 2 with the same 512GBs of local storage and an SD slot 🙂

Even owning a Quest I still use my Phone for VR more, as its lighter the headset is smaller to pack when travelling and generally just works without needing to setup a play space.
Canoestheone
Student
Options

Fingers crossed, and I am retroactively thanking you as it is brilliant that you reported it in the beta stage. At least they are definitely aware of the situation.

Robinl
Pioneer
Options
So they didn't even take care of feedback received during beta, and all this for a simple flag...
Unbelievable ! And still no reply on this forum.

Anyone got a reply via samsung members (for the current build, not beta) ?
FrankKj
Apprentice
Options

I phoned samsung support here in Denmark for Daydream troubles in Android 10

They are blaming Google software , inspite of missing xml flag , as you pointed -

Very sad and annoying !

Do you think , they are reading this ? - It dosn´t seems like it

Kindly regards

Frank Kjaerbo

Denmark

Leader2light
Explorer
Options

Samsung must fix this.  My VR headset should not go to trash over a simple software issue.  

Robinl
Pioneer
Options

Still no proper reply from Samsung here or on Members... shame...

Leader2light
Explorer
Options

Please fix this Samsung.  Do the right thing for once.  Bad enough Note 9 Won't get Android 11.