Support

Open search

Again, pop ups on S9.

First Poster

Great for about 6 months: I utilize(d) this phone for work. Fast, efficient, did everything and then some. I was chagrined that I was such a staunch Apple fan and user since the first iPhone was released. ( I still have that tylenol looking thing... ). Then, something happened, and Samsung has offered zero support or advice. Pop up ads. Everywhere. I called Samsung, tried to chat with them, and they tell me to start deleting apps I recently put on. Recently put on?! This phone is for work, I have the bare minimum and have put NOTHING on it unless it's from Samsung or Google Play and verified. There were some apps I saw that I liked when I first purchased, but didn't install because they were from "third party" people, and not "verified." So, what gives? I handed it to a customer to call his insurance company and a feminine hygiene ad pops up. The gentleman hands me back the phone and asks if I was saving it.... what a joke. Needless to say, the customer "service" and the actual service of the phone have now made it a highly overpriced paper weight. When I wrote an email to Samsung about two weeks ago, ..... crickets. No replies. I guess they figure, what the hell. They have their money. I put the SIM card from the S9 into my old iPhone 5 (after I restored the factory specs, of course), and viola. Up and running, installed all the same apps and NO pop up ads.
The only thing I can say is this: if you don't mind getting pop up ads every time you turn on, wake it up or access a folder, then maybe this phone is for you. Me? Nope. Terrible service, terrible follow up.
In addition? NOW I'm getting the message pop ups from Google Play.... this phone is getting restored and sold unless someone has a modicum of advice on what to do. Definitely cannot use as a business phone, that is a fact. 

7 REPLIES 7
Superuser I
Superuser I

@AEIOU 

Put the phone in Safe Mode which disables all non stock apps and let us know if the advertising pop ups stop please.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

First Poster

Very well. How long shall I run it in safe mode? I started to do this last week, but quite frankly, didn't have the time to mess around with the phone. I will do it over the weekend... should that suffice time wise?

Highlighted
Superuser I
Superuser I

I appreciate time is precious @AEIOU  and your frustrated with the situation but to try and get to the bottom of the issues this is what's needed.

Yes please do run in safe mode for a day or so and let us know the outcome.

Current Phone ~

First Poster

Will do. I had removed some things last week thinking maybe they were the culprit, ( games, mostly. Clash of Clans, Clash Royale, WordScapes, etc. Removing these made no difference at all.) One of the pop ups actually takes me to the Google Play store... which seemed odd considering I was told that Google Play is a "safe space" to browse, and only get apps that are "verified".... which is what I thought I was doing. In any event, we're about 17 hours in, and so far so good. If it makes any difference, I'm on the Verizon network, and there is a folder of Verizon specific apps that were "pre-installed" on the device. 

First Poster

Resized_Screenshot_20190127-131521_Gallery.jpegI include this picture from the last time I tried to run in safe mode: the google pop up is there... so, last time in safe mode I was still getting pop ups. When you would touch that pop up, it took you right to the google play store. 

I've been in safe mode now for the weekend and through Monday, no pop ups this time at all. What's next? 

Superuser I
Superuser I

Consider running antivirus software.

And or Take it to a Samsung Service Centre for them to take a look.

Current Phone ~

First Poster

Thank you.

Top Liked Authors