Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

After Boot the magnetic sensors don't work correctly

(Topic created on: 26-10-2019 07:57 AM)
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

1. after a boot the magnetic sensors need to be recalibrated. suggestion : make the existing calibration persistent

2. there is no hint to the user that a recalibration needs to be done. suggestion : give a hint to the user

3. there are no obvious easy-to-use built in means to do this. suggestion : provide them

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

I asked the support via the Members app whether the need to recalibrate the sensor after a restart was a bug or a feature. They replied that it was an software error and that it had been solved. That fits to the fact that the new S9 doesn't show this error. It leaves open the question which software exactly has been fixed. Perhaps the november update for android 9 ?

Whatever, my S9 works fine.

@Everybody : anybody still affected by this bug ? 

View solution in context

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Thanks for your suggestions, @IreibeX.

Could you give us a little more info about the original issue please?

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@ChrisM wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions, @IreibeX.

Could you give us a little more info about the original issue please?

After startup the magnetic sensors have to be calibrated. The user has to know that this has to be done, has to invoke the sensors test or Google Maps or any other map that can do this, and do the calibration. Otherwise the compass won't work correctly.

Unfortunately not every user knows that this has to be done, and having to invoke the sensors test or other apps is a bit cumbersome. It would be nice if the operating system notified the user about the necessity to calibrate and offered a service to do this.

And it would be even better if the calibration, once done, were persistent across reboots.

0 Likes
CarlH
Options

Hi @IreibeX. I've just passed this on to our colleagues to see if anything can be done regarding your suggestions. Have a good day! 

IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@CarlH wrote:

Hi @IreibeX. I've just passed this on to our colleagues to see if anything can be done regarding your suggestions. Have a good day! 

I returned my S9 ( bought from a vendor in amazon ) due to several hardware defects and got a new one. Now it works. After reboot the compass is still calibrated. And I once got a message from maps that I'd better recalibrate due to bad sensor information.

@CarlH: did you hear anything about this issue ? Could it be that Samsung changed things in the OS ? But why does this work with the new S9 and didn't work with the old one ? The only difference between the two that I know of could be the november android patch. Or could it be that different S9 have different android kernels, hardware drivers etc that aren't part of the android patches ? ( btw both S9 were european ones )

0 Likes
Solution
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

I asked the support via the Members app whether the need to recalibrate the sensor after a restart was a bug or a feature. They replied that it was an software error and that it had been solved. That fits to the fact that the new S9 doesn't show this error. It leaves open the question which software exactly has been fixed. Perhaps the november update for android 9 ?

Whatever, my S9 works fine.

@Everybody : anybody still affected by this bug ? 

0 Likes