Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

S20 Ultra support for MicroSD card UHS-II ?

(Topic created on: 12-02-2020 07:20 PM)
Cemil2565
Journeyman
Options

Does the new S20 Ultra supports micro sd cards UHS-II

(i know that it works but does it benefit from the extra performance(speed), does the phone have more pins ?)

Go to solution
31 REPLIES 31
MildlyImpressed
Explorer
Options

I don't believe that the phone supports the supported speeds of the ufs card in the SD slot. Otherwise that would be a huge boasting point for their phones. The price of the UFS cards are significantly more expensive. I got twice the amount of storage for the same price with as much performance are the phone will get out of the SD slot. 

Fredriksson_nem
Student
Options

Actually iv'e been in contact with both UK and Swedish customer service during the day about the UFS and they both confirmed that the phone is compatible with the UFS. So now whe finally got or high end solution.

0 Likes
MildlyImpressed
Explorer
Options

That defintely would be interesting. I am wondernig if they are confusing the internal storage with the SD card support though. I just don't see how a tech would say the it doesn't support UHS-ii speeds and another would say it support speeds past that. 

0 Likes
C2k
Student
Options
If I'm following, it sounds like S20 doesn't support UHS-2/3 because those cards have extra pins. I looked at pics of UFS and it also has extra pins. Or at least you couldn't utilize the higher transfer speeds if the phone only reads the standard pins.

So would the S20 Ultra read extra pins? Or use UFS at lower speeds?
0 Likes
Fredriksson_nem
Student
Options

Yeah i have been at the same optimistic level as you are. but here are a snap from my past discussions with the CS:

Daniel

Me: yes and UHS-I does not support 8K But the phone does not support your UFS card?
Lena 08: 49: 11 The phone should also support UFS card.
Daniel Fredriksson08: 54: 51:  yes it is, so you can buy Samsung UFS Memory Card 256GB and use it as a memory card

Lena08: 56: 19 Yes exactly, it should work.

10:38:33This is what the swedish agent told me. but im still not 100% convinced

Aina 

10:39:51We highly appreciate your interest with the Samsung UFS micro SD card Daniel.

Aina 

10:41:04And upon checking this here on my end, the Samsung S20 Ultra will be able to support the Samsung UFS Card 256GB as the maximum capacity for the device is up to 1TB for typical microSD card and rest assured that the device will be able to recognise it.
0 Likes
MildlyImpressed
Explorer
Options

C2k is correct. It does have two extra pins. I believe the device would be recognized, but you wouldn't get the extra speed of the two extra data pins. 

I see how they would both think that the UFS cards would work, but they also didn't confirm at what speeds. 

0 Likes
Fredriksson_nem
Student
Options

Yeah, everything is a cloudy mess.

I hope the answer will appear soon. the problem still stand. We need a Card that supports our demands (8k)
Right now i dont wanna buy anything, im not gonna settle with a UHS-I, meaningless

0 Likes
MildlyImpressed
Explorer
Options

I don't disagree with you. However, the UHS-ii higher video recording speeds will still help your 8k video storage needs. If you really wanted to, you can just purchase a v90 rated UHS-ii SD card to calm your needs. It's just not a guarantee that it will actually be able to read or write those speeds. UHS-i should still be enough power to read the 8k video after it has saved. I believe 8k video only requires 50 Mb/s (not 50MB/s). If you are unfimiliar with how that works, you can divide the lower megabits per second by 8 and you will get megabytes per second.  So, for this instance 8k video should only need a read speed of 6.25 MB/s theoretically. 

I have confirmed again with Samsung chat in the US that it only supports UHS-i SD cards. He also added that it does not support the Samsung UFS card. I am not saying that the agents that I have been talking to are more knowledgable, but I believe they are actually checking with either higher level agents, supervisors, or engineers to get the correct specifications for the phones. Maybe it's not that deep, but they are getting their information somewhere. I believe that it only supports UHS-i speeds because that's all it needs for extra storage space. It also has that support up to 1TB. I am not aware of a UHS-ii card that supports 1TB of space, but I could be wrong. 

I will let you know of the transcript when I get the email, but I haven't gotten one yet. 

Fredriksson_nem
Student
Options

There is only 1 that provide 1TB ATM and it is Progrades Gold card at 1TB UHS-II , but that is not cheap haha.

Yeah i get what you mean, but you know what i mean.

So confusing with those samsung support agents. some ppls say they ready UHS-II but now the speed, some say the read UFS. 

Guess we have to wait until they release. 

0 Likes
MildlyImpressed
Explorer
Options

Yeah, we will have to wait and see lol. 

0 Likes