Support

Open search

S20 Ultra camera gripes

Highlighted
Apprentice

I think the biggest problem with the S20 Ultra ... infact the only problem really outside of the fingerprint scanner which is a constant source of frustration as it rarely recognises my fingerprinters (though this was the same on the S10+ before it, and I work with my hands so rarely have neat and tidy fingerprints ...) Has got to be the changes to the camera. 

First off, all the issues with autofocus, particularly close up, I dont remember the S10 being such a pain in the A trying to take a shot, Im also finding parts of an object are out of focus, usually objects appear like layers, so If Im taking a picture of a snail (for example) the snail will ALL be in focus, and perhaps the background less so, but Im finding the snails shell will be in focus but its head not, or its head in focus and the shell not. Ive read others are having those issues and that fixes are being pushed out? 

The 100x zoom is somewhat of a gimick I feel. Sure its technically acheivable, but the images taken at 100 x zoom are practically unusable as they look vile. Im finding anything past say 5x zoom is not worth bothering over, unless you are using the zoom as a crude form of binoculars perhaps ? i dunno. 

For all the features added to the main cameras , the fisheye camera,... widescreen ? whatever its called, is actually less impressive than that of the s10+. I really liked this camera on the s10+ but I assume that the obsession with making the images less distorted in this mode meant that the s20s version of this was less fish eye. 

Similarly, the removal of the seperate front facing camera for this mode Im also missing. I never really minded the double front facing camera on the s10+ ... and used the fisheye lens in that mode quite effectively for creative selfie images. Again  - I assume someone thought it would be an improvement having a single camera on the front cutting space out of the screen rather than the 2 ? If its there Its there, I dont see the massive benefit from removing the other camera, unless they removed both front facing cameras to have nothing obsuring the screen space and put the selfie camera somewhere else ? 

Burst mode now SUCKS. Its unusable. Ive tried all sorts of finger breaking methods and Im finding its just less stressful not using it at all. I used to use burst mode for running selfies... this was great as Id end up with hundreds of  images, most of which probably were blurred, but some would be great shots. Coupled with the front facing fish eye lens, it captured more of the shot and gave that 'action camera' feel to images. Burst mode was EASY to use , I could grip the phone comfortably and stably , hold down a physical button, and it would burst for as long as I held it. Now you have to slide down on the screen shutton button, thats find if you are holding the phone still and are static,  but terrible if you are in motion. Even worse if you are doing this one handed ! 

I contacted samsung via email about this one issue and was told I was using my phone camera incorrectly. Burst mode is means for taking pictures of moving objects when the phone was still , not for taking pictures of yourself while moving. Surely if If has worked and does work now for some customers, the only limitation is a change to have burst is activated, this shouldnt be a reason to tell customers to stop using their devices in this way ? 

I have found that now, Burst mode, I have to hold the phone upsidedown and swipe up on the shutter button, Lack of a sufficiant wide angle front facing camera means I really have to stretch my arms out to get a full scene , Fiddling around trying to operate onscreen shutter buttons while jumping up and down running means Im regularly selecting other modes and switching to rear camera, which is a pain. Plus - most the images are being produced upsidedown so I have to view he gallery with the phone upsidedown to pic pictures then edit then to rotate the images correctly. All a massive pain in the A. All because some design process dismissed the option to bind a burst mode hold to a button somewhere. 

Finally - Im not liking the change of button positions. Dont see the point of cramming all the buttons on one side, the right side as that. Ive even wondered if they did a left and right handed version of the phone and I ended up with the left handed version in some way - but assume its just ill-thought out design practice. 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Observer

I Agree, the burst mode absolutely sucks.

Why not give an option for the camera shutter long press..... If I want a video I'll go into video mode and record one.

Highlighted

I agree...

It has become ridiculously diffifcult with the S20 to take photos while holding the phone in your left hand, landscape and then not getting your fingers in front of the camera while reaching for the volume / shutter.

I switched from S9+ to s20+ and the S20+'s Bixby key was a perfect shutter key!

I'm looking for a mod to use the power key as shutter, let's hope that si going to work somehow...

Highlighted

Thank you! I finally found someone with the same issues with their camera that I seem to be experiencing. One part of the object in focus while another part of the same object out of focus and sort of washed out a bit too. I thought maybe I was going mad. I'm honestly sorry I "upgraded" from my S8+ to this brick. 

Highlighted
Apprentice
Pull up camera then go to settings you can the use the volume buttons and the power button to change to like burr and so on
Highlighted
Apprentice

Are you guessing this ? The entire problem (well with burst mode at least) on the S20 ultra, you don't have the ability to set burst mode to any physical button. The ONLY burst mode seems to be via dragging the on-screen shutter button. 

Highlighted
Apprentice
I had look on settings on my phone and see you can't change it gavevto use the pull thing to bust shot
Top Liked Authors