Support

Open search

Shouldn't we just enjoy the S10?!

Apprentice

Hi guys 

I for one am guilty of worrying about this setting or this update but shouldn't we just enjoy the phone? Yes it has flaws and judging by this forum it seems to have many. I think we just have to let those things go and just enjoy the ***** phone because it's great and I'm coming from an iPhone xs. 

Would love to hear everyone's tgoughts going forward 👍🏼

12 REPLIES 12
Superuser I
Superuser I
Welcome to the community @Wjbanks

I'm thankful for people complaining, because this effectively gives Samsung a way to improve its products. Which will in turn give me a better phone in the future ^-^

The S10 has its (minor) flaws, this is unavoidable for any product that tries to innovate but I truly believe that it is one of the best smartphones that is currently on the market
Superuser I
Superuser I

I agree with @SjorsK . It the critic is not only blaming it makes sense and gives to Samsung a feedback.

An example is night mode in the camera. We told that it is missing and Samsung released it.

Explorer

Everyone phone has its flaws, but when a phone costs this much we expect the basic features to work fine. Fps is not without flaw and the proximity bug is still here after 2 months. I'm coming from an iPhone 7 and I never had the number of problems I'm having with this phone. Dont get me wrong though, I am enjoying the new experience, the design is nice, love the oled, light to hold, overall quality is good. But when an £800 phone cant switch between wireless access points with the same ssid in my own house, bare in mind this works seamlessly with my iPhone and my now 7 year old iPad, I get frustrated. I have to turn the wifi off and on every time I move from one side of my house to the other for it to switch to the ap with the strongest signal.

Current Phone: Galaxy S10 128GB Exynos SoC | Model SM-G973F
Superuser I
Superuser I
Actually, I will go into this one as an old servicedesk employee from a university/Network Administrator

I might ignore some of the issues considering I don't/can't experience them. But believe me when I say it that apple devices tend to have a lot of issues by itself (Will leave the list behind for now). We tend to get used to some of the issues after experiencing a product/software experience for quite long considering we tend to work around them.

From a technical perspective an SSID is to "Define" a network, basically every access point with the same SSID should be configured to have WiFi Roaming, if your network does not support this feature its effectively asking for issues.

Basically, whenever a device connects to the network the first thing it does is to set up a "session" with the specific SSID, once the session has been established it will try to request an IP Address from the DHCP server.

Depending on the implementation of the vendor of the AP (Access point) the following oddities might occur if your network is not enabled for WiFi Roaming.
1: If each device has its own DHCP, it will have to get a new IP address.
2: The session is not "transferred" (Because simply stated, it can't be transferred).

Your phone might just be thinking that its still connected to the same network because the SSID is the same, even though it isn't. The Considering the SSID is intended to be the unique identifier for the WiFi-Network I would say that its reasonable to assume that the phone uses that to identify the network itself.

I guess that apple itself tends to kill the session off in the background whenever a ping to their servers tends to fail which works too but has its own issues (Something with killing sessions is never a clear solution if you just want to transfer it) and a constant ping/check in the background does cost some battery. Instead there is simply the decision to check for the SSID, if it changes or if the signal gets too weak it will simply switch to the nearest one that it remembers. At my work we have roaming and we get zero complaints about Galaxy 10 users that can't transfer their session properly

I also know another school in the area that intentionally uses a different SSID for every classroom to save costs for this feature and to prevent issues.

Anyhow, both approaches have its up and downsides, but I can't really see it as a flaw at Samsungs side. Its clearly something that its wrong on the networking side (Roaming is simply not supported in the networking infrastructure). Can't blame a device for keeping itself properly to the standards.

Basically it looks like this is an ages old decision with android, not really a Samsung specefic thing:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3z9pi5/wifi_roaming_between_aps_with_the_same_ssid/

Navigator

I am kind of with everyone else on this - I like the phone but when I compare the performance (particularly battery drain) with my Sony XZ2 which is over a year old now, the S10 is shockingly atrocious and I'm ready to throw the phone in the bin despite REALLY liking the camera and its multiple lenses (except when the software over-saturates some colours which tends to happen in bright daylight), the physical form/feel of the phone, and the UI.

For me, it's about the battery consumption and the ability to optimize the phone accordingly but not have to basically disable most of the phone's functionality.  At first the XZ2's battery was shockingly poor and I was disappointed as it was similar to my iPhone's battery (which I got rid of for many reasons but especially because of the POOR battery life) but with a few tweaks that Sony allows users to do, my battery was far, far superior (unfortunately everytime I restart the phone I need to force stop the WakeLock but after that, it's brilliant) and I didn't need to debloat the phone or have my location always off, etc.

I can say that I wasn't impressed with the general battery life on my S10 but was survivable BUT with the April update, the BATTERY IS BEYOND GARBAGE.  Being able to have an SOT of 2-3 hours only (with the April update) is TERRIBLE and basically renders the phone useless - I already wasn't impressed with the MAYBE 5 hours SOT (though I did manage to get 10 hours SOT once, being on wifi all day and playing around with the phone) when my XZ2 was getting more (similar battery size btw!).

Explorer

@SjorsK I gather you're pretty well versed in this area. But I dont think I'm asking too much and I do believe my hardware supports roaming. My asus router that I have set up as the ap, no dhcp enabled, is set to disconnect at a specified db, a feature I did not use until I bought this phone. 

To address your idea of the iPhone having to ping constantly for the signal, the phone would work flawlessly when switching, I never experience any battery issues, the battery in my iPhone 7 is much smaller than the one in the s10 but the battery life seems the same. I would say when I got the iPhone 7 new with 100% battery health it lasted longer than the s10 new. 

Current Phone: Galaxy S10 128GB Exynos SoC | Model SM-G973F
Superuser I
Superuser I
@MustafaIslam

Great to hear that it supports it, in that case you have to make sure that its configured on both devices (Something like that is usually disabled by default and usually requires a wireless lan controller (Basically a server that manages it). There are alternative technologies but its best to be sure

The ping was just an idea of me of a way to detect it. I'm happy that it worked properly with your last Phone I must admit that apple has a better optimization in terms of battery than andriod (in general)
Apprentice

That proximity sensor issue keeps getting me mad. Everything else is just fine for me. Im coming from s9 and everything worked fine. Never had battery issues,  camera is great for me, one ui is ok. Also the single tap to answer and its strange position in accesibility menu keeps getting me crazy but that happens in S9 also. Its a software decision. Crazy Samsung developers. What were they thinking. 

Navigator

@aliakio wrote:

That proximity sensor issue keeps getting me mad. Everything else is just fine for me. Im coming from s9 and everything worked fine. Never had battery issues,  camera is great for me, one ui is ok. Also the single tap to answer and its strange position in accesibility menu keeps getting me crazy but that happens in S9 also. Its a software decision. Crazy Samsung developers. What were they thinking. 

They weren't 

Top Liked Authors