Support

Open search

For all of you that miss the LED Notification light

Apprentice

This is for anyone that misses the Notification LED on the S10's.

Let me start by saying i don't miss it particularly as i set my phone to vibrate for notifications and this mutes when Do Not disturb is enabled.

I have lots of S10 content in my Youtube feed and this video popped up for an app that lets you put a light ring around the cutouts and also does edge lighting as well. The app is free but ad supported or you can pay 0.99c to have them removed. I would suggest trying it out first to make sure it works perfectly before paying.

I think Samsung will eventually give us a notification light for the cutouts soon but for those that can't wait , check the link below. I'm trying it out now to see if it works for me.

Feedback on how/If , it works for you would be helpful to others especially the developer via the app review in the Play Store.

https://youtu.be/FSLbzsrXDHQ

25 REPLIES 25
Superuser I
Superuser I
I kinda expect that this light may be used in the future after an update, but this isn't formally announced.
Apprentice

I'm mostly loving my new S10+, but this lack of the most basic of indicators---a notification LED---is driving me crazy.  I simply want a notification LED, just like the one I could see from ten feet away on EVERY PRIOR MODEL of Galaxy (I've had an S3, S6, S8+ and S9+ prior to this one).

It's really frustrating that Samsung removed what I consider to be a critical feature.  If I get a text, I want to see a little blue light or dot from across the room.  Red/green for battery charge state.  Other notifications can be other colors (or, frankly, I don't even care about being notified of other things) but really the charge state and "text message" are the two I need.  I don't even use the "edge"--I don't want a brilliant animated glow from the screen lighting up a dark meeting room---just a little dot, or maybe the camera ring which is actually pretty cool.

The AOD software mentioned above isn't really designed to add a notification light.  Rather, it's a VERY elaborate app for replacing the AOD (Always on Display) contents and having customisable edge/ring alerts for anything.  But it also doesn't work well.  Sometimes a text lights up the ring, other times it doesn't.  It's also extremely frustrating to use the app above, because it forces the user to watch a 30-second ad EVERY TIME ANY SETTING IS SAVED, making it take an hour just to tweak a few things when I could have otherwise done it in 3 minutes.  Collosal timewaster.

Other than the HORRIBLE ad experience (No, I will NOT pay for an app to light up a notification light--that should be a built in feature to begin with) the AOD app functionality is quite lovely, but I basically got frustrated and removed it because it doesn't do the ONLY thing I wanted it to:  turn the ring "red" for "charging" and "green" for "fully charged.  It has no capability of displaying the battery charge level as a notification ring.

I don't want the AOD to show notifications.  I don't want to have to get up and walk over to "touch" the phone to see a notification.  I want to see it from 10 feet away just like every other device I've ever had.

Great phone, but really short-sighted on some of the (lack of) features.  Some articles I have read noted the notification light will be a "Day 1" feature but here we are 10 days post-release and all we hear are crickets chirping and links to this AOD program which doesn't resolve the core issue.

-Dan

Explorer

Hello everyone!!
I am quite annoyed by Samsung at this point.  I have the S10 almost 3 weeks now. And I have to say I've never had so much trouble with a device. The battery drain issue and and notifications issue. 
I'm not asking for much here. I Want my phone to wake when I recieve a notification. Is that so much to ask? 
Apparenty.. 

Well as it appears we need to download a third party application for that simple thing.. and I did. The glimpse app. Ok..

Since I was really missing the LED notification  (I think we all do.. It is really bad having to wake the phone all the time to see whether we have a message or not) , I downloaded the always on edge lighting app. So I think they don't work together that good, cause after I installed it a black screen appears in order to enable the ring and it hides the pop up that used to wake my screen through glimpse.. 
Anyone else had that experience?

Voyager

I use an app called holey light for light notification as it uses the light round the camera and it flashes when in black screen. 

Terrible idea NOT having a LED notification. Come on Samsung,  get it back. 

Voyager
Use holey lite mate. It works great
First Poster
Thanks Hackett, but will it actually light up when screen is off and I get a text message?
Voyager
Yes it works on the off screen . Always on display screen .
First Poster

So just to be certain.

Only if I use AOD then it will light up?

Top Liked Authors