Support

Open search

Why doesn't Samsung use the latest charging technologies?

Navigator

As the title says, is it because they're afraid or? Every phone has the latest charging technology. Here on S10 we're stuck on 2.0. 

Thank you for the help!
On my S10+!
7 REPLIES 7
Superuser I
Superuser I
The Note 10 supports a better charging technology. I agree that Samsung isn't a frontrunner in this area but I believe that it is better to test this kind of tech properly considering fast charging can affect the durability of the battery in a negative way and too quick charging could give other issues as well (Such as exploding phones 😉). Better be save than sorry
Superuser I
Superuser I

@SjorsK  totally agree.

I only fast charge if I need to if I need a quick boost.

Other than that my phone is turned off overnight and normal charged.

Samsung is obviously looking at charging options as they have changed the way the Note 10 charges as pointed out by @SjorsK 

With new flagships there will always be newer features and capabilities as this tech becomes available and or market demand prevails.

This can and will leave older phones in the shadows in some cases and tempt people to upgrade. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Pathfinder

@Adem1 wrote:

As the title says, is it because they're afraid or? Every phone has the latest charging technology. Here on S10 we're stuck on 2.0. 

Of your many postings, I agree with you on this one. I'm sorry but the other responses are ridiculous as they infer Samsung is then behind the times and not up to par with even smaller device manufacturers.

I find their so called fast charge not fast at all. My Asus from 3 years ago charged in half the time it takes my S10 + to charge. How much time does Samsung need to get even to 2018 technology? They're too busy coding for things that already exist.

Superuser II
Superuser II

It doesn't make a sense. There must be a balance between speed of the charging, lifetime of the battery and safety.

Too fast charging means less lifetime and higher risk of overheating. Samsung has one bad experience with battery and the are now very carefull about that, I think.

Next, one czech web has compared standard and 45W charger with newest Note10 and there were only few minutes diference. It is probably because of getting warm and safety mechanism.

The technology is only a number. Yes, some competitors can charge faster but they also ofter have lower capacity or - it is very often - they say charnig from zero to 60 or 80% but the latest percents have huge impact because speed of the charging decreases when the battery is amost full.

I prefer stable charging and compatible chargers. I can use the same charger which I bought with Samsung S6 and they works with S10+, I had to use only USB-C cable instead of micro USB.

Navigator
Well you finally agree on one of my posts. I'm interested in your posts, care to share?
Thank you for the help!
On my S10+!
Navigator

Well, alright but it's kind of a scretch, I know about the long time  rumors that they're coming up with the graphine battery technology. At least they could of have allowed a software update for S10 line to support 25W charging. 

Thank you for the help!
On my S10+!
Superuser I
Superuser I

Charging technologies isn't something that is easily upgradeable with a software update. Some factors to take into accounts:
1: Can the specefic battery handle it?
2: Can the wiring in the phone handle it?
3: Can the chipset in the phone handle it?

That is without considering the question "Are there for the current hardware any possible negative side affects'

If any of those answers is no it is simply not properly doable, and considering the phone isn't designed around the idea of 25w charging I doubt that its the case. If all answers are yes however, I would love to get an update out  

Top Liked Authors