Support

Open search

Why does usb do this every time i connect to it

First Poster

Everytime i just want to charge my s10+ from my cars usb socket it's constantly keep trying to file transfer when it isn't supported even though I've told it to charge only! This message pops up, it doesn't do this on any of my pixel devices, how do i stop this? I've even gone into developer options and forced usb charging only on connection and yet still i keep getting this?Screenshot_20191102-100023_MTP application.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
CarloL Moderator

Hey @AA27! Have you tried using a different USB cable for charging your phone with the car? If so, does the same error message appear? Also, even if the message actually appears, does your phone still charge? .

Highlighted
First Poster

Yes I've tried a different cable too, yes it still charges but keeps coming up with that message everytime i connect it it's rather annoying, the phone always defaults to data transfer when you connect a cable instead of just charging, I've even changed the default setting in the developer options to only charge but still it's the one ui software that keeps defaulting to data everytime you unplug and replug, see screenshot from developer options. I've selected charge only but still this setting is getting overridden by Samsung software.Screenshot_20191104-162138_Settings.jpg

CarloL Moderator

Right. Please check if your phone is running on the latest software version by heading to: Settings > Software updates > Download updates manually. Also, do a Soft Reset of your phone by holding the Volume Down as well as the Power buttons for 10 seconds and try again.

First Poster

Hi yes it already has the latest software, is a software update going to fix this so i can choose by default what happens on usb connection?

Helping Hand

maybe USB dtivers arent installed on PC or computer port issue.

And if a mac at all install mac PC software for smartswitch as it says.

First Poster

It's not a computer, it's the usb port on my car radio i use it just for charging but the phone defaults to file transfer and that's why that warning keeps popping up, i don't have this issue on my Google phones it just charges without any file transfer warning pop up.

Helping Hand

@AA27 wrote:

It's not a computer, it's the usb port on my car radio i use it just for charging but the phone defaults to file transfer and that's why that warning keeps popping up, i don't have this issue on my Google phones it just charges without any file transfer warning pop up.

its then a incompatibility with audio receiver and contact that brands support system why its occuring or lASTLY factory reset to get it to work.

First Poster

It's  not the radios fault a device connected to it is trying to file transfer everytime it is connected when it's impossible to to do on a car radio it's the phones phone for not being able to select charging only by default, that setting is not sticking, if charging only worked properly it wouldn't keep trying to file transfer with a device that cannot do that but charge only, on Google phones that setting works, so it's the phones software at fault.

First Poster

See this thread https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/forums.androidcentral.com/huawei-p20-p20-pro/910964-default-usb-mode....

Google wrote android to default to charging only like it should be, it shouldn't be trying to file transfer by default as not all devices support file transfer.