Support

Open search

S10e screen shows scratches within 2 weeks of careful usage..

First Poster

Hi,

I have been using my S10e for 2 weeks and I couldn't be more happy with it. Before this I had a S6 (and before that a S4 and before that a S2) and again, the upgrade brings even more than I expected!

However, I notice that the screen seems to scratch shockingly easily. Within a few days already, a number of long, superficial scratches were visible, but now even a short, deeper scratch has appeared. This one especially is very visible and irritating. I have no idea how this is possible, because I treat my S10 very carefully, exactly the same way as my S6 before. I have had the S6 for 4 years, without it ever showing a single visible scratch (only a few very superficial ones over years of usage).

Hence, I was always impressed by the quality of the Samsung Galaxy screens, which makes it very surprising that the S10(e) seems so different in this regard. Is it just bad luck or are there more people with this experience?

Unfortunately, there no standard protector came with the S10e (as it does with the S10 and S10Plus) and - to my surprise - the scratches were already visible before I had the chance to attach a separate screen protector myself.

29 REPLIES 29
Superuser I
Superuser I

Sometimes attaching a good glass screen protector such as a Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector can hide the scratches because it uses a silicone adhesive all over the display.

However unfortunately most displays will mark up due to different ways.

May I ask how do you carry your phone around when not in use ?

Personally I use a vertical PDair leather holster with belt clip because if some debris is in a locket this can scratch displays.

Did you take a good look at the phone when you unboxed it ?

That said I always use x3 pieces of protection for all my phones also.

Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector.

dbrand Black Dragon Back Protector.

Rhinoshield Crashguard Bumper.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

First Poster

Yes I read about the Whitestone protector, however after reading some negative reviews I decided not to go with it. It's not available in the Netherlands anyway.

The phone didn't have any scratches when I bought it and the box was sealed. I carry it in my pocket mostly, as I have always done with my smartphones. Never had any problems with it. Just the phone, never keys or other stuff in the same pocket of course.

I tried filling the scratches by applying toothpaste and baking soda, but unfortunately I don't see any difference.

Superuser I
Superuser I

The main issue people have with the Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector is that they don't fully read the instructions or fully understand how to fit it.

From what you write if the display had No scratches out of the box then they must have occured while in your possession, which I'm guessing is that something hard enough i.e. grit etc has been in your pocket and has scratched it and or something has got onto the screen and then it was given a wipe.

Also in some cases its not the actual display that's scratched but the oleophobic coating has scratches in it.

Current Phone ~

First Poster

Yes, the scratches happened while it was in my possession. I have no doubt about that. But it shouldn't happen this soon on a new device, should it? To my amazement, more scratches have appeared in the last couple of days, even while I have been super cautious now, as my screen protector should arrive anyday. I either place the phone in my pocket or I lay it on a desk/table. That’s it.

Every now and then I even check carefully if there is any grit/sand/etc. in my pockets. Which (of course) there never is. So strange… Could it be that there’s something wrong with my Samsung S10e’s screen?

Apprentice

Are you aware that the s10 comes with a screen protector as standard out of the box.

What I found is the factory fitted protector  is quite soft and scratches easily, but the actual glass screen is undamaged 

Superuser I
Superuser I

@cwmparc wrote:

Are you aware that the s10 comes with a screen protector as standard out of the box.

What I found is the factory fitted protector  is quite soft and scratches easily, but the actual glass screen is undamaged 

The OP has said 

Unfortunately, there no standard protector came with the S10e (as it does with the S10 and S10Plus) and - to my surprise - the scratches were already visible before I had the chance to attach a separate screen protector myself. "

Current Phone ~

First Poster

I've had the same issue - had my phone 2 days and not had time to get a screen protector (plus I never had one with the S10 as the gorilla glass was amazing! 3 years and no scratches!) and I already have a cosmetic scratch on the screen. I'm gutted! Nothing I can do and not even worth going through insurance. Would recommend anyone who may be thinking of getting this phone to reconsider as it seems very fragile compared to others in the S range.

I have the same problem
Superuser I
Superuser I

What I sometimes come across is that it's not the actual phones screen that is scratched but the olyphoebic coating.

Unfortunately if a person has grit etc in their pocket then the hardness of this can cause scratches. I appreciate you've been careful.

I also keep mine in a pdair vertical holster with belt clip that helps to keep it away from such scenarios. 

This is also why I apply a Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector on my phones.

Alternative options are available.

Current Phone ~

Top Liked Authors