Support

Open search

S10+ location settings....increase battery drain?

Apprentice

Hi all.

Just received my new S10+ ....so far I like it a lot!

Still getting to know the phone.....I have just traded in my old S7.

One thing I would like to know ....on my old S7 I could have the location setting set to battery saver where it would use wifi/data only for location until you wanted more accuracy (sat nav etc) then you could switch to high accuracy location setting which would use GPS.

Does the S10+ have this setting option?.......it appears to me that it is either GPS on or off & if its on you can get high accuracy with further wifi/ Bluetooth location....if I switch off the location will I lose all location availability ?

Or should I just leave it all on if it doesn't make much difference to the battery life?

I hope this makes sense!

3 REPLIES 3
Explorer
Hi, Mate!

I've checked and it seems that there's no option to to change the accuracy of the location(GPS). But there's an option to disable the optimisation for mobile data and Wi-Fi which might decrease the battery usage in your device. You can disable the option at Settings> Biometrics and security> Location> Improve Accuracy.

You can also optimise the software of your phone which will also enable you to use your phone more longer through Settings> Device Care> Optimise.

For some tips on how to prolong and optimise the battery life in your phone, please access this link https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-can-i-optimise-and-extend-the-battery-life-on-...

Thank you!
Apprentice

So its not just me?!!!!

I can have gps on or off with or without the extra location bits ...but not the other way round....like my old S7 .

I assume if I hit the toggle button at the top pull down menu & switch location off, I will have no location services at all?........so even to find something on Google maps I will have to have gps on?

As long as my battery lasts I needn't worry!!!

Pathfinder

@Voodoorida wrote:

Hi all.

Just received my new S10+ ....so far I like it a lot!

Still getting to know the phone.....I have just traded in my old S7.

One thing I would like to know ....on my old S7 I could have the location setting set to battery saver where it would use wifi/data only for location until you wanted more accuracy (sat nav etc) then you could switch to high accuracy location setting which would use GPS.

Does the S10+ have this setting option?.......it appears to me that it is either GPS on or off & if its on you can get high accuracy with further wifi/ Bluetooth location....if I switch off the location will I lose all location availability ?

Or should I just leave it all on if it doesn't make much difference to the battery life?

I hope this makes sense!

That's correct, Google made this change in the location and also in the battery. I don't like it either, and yes it is a battery hog which is par for the course where Google is concerned. They keep making changes to things that IMO didn't need to be changed. They're creating solutions for a problem that didn't exist.

Top Liked Authors