Support

Open search

S10 Plus Unlocking and Waking In Pocket (Pocket Dialling)

Explorer

To prevent the pocket dials then within 'Settings' -> 'Display', turn on 'Accidental Touch protection'. This uses the front sensors to detect if screen is covered/ dark and prevents it activating.

For more protection, under Settings->Advanced Features->Motions and Gestires, turn off the 'Lift to Wake' option to prevent any motion activating the device

Apprentice

I have done both of those things and changed the touch sensitivity on and off it makes no difference. If I completely cover the proximity sensor at the top of the screen the double tap still wakes up the screen and it shouldnt. The proximity sensor does not work as it should so no amount of turning things on and off has any effect. At the end of the day I should not have to turn things on or off in an attempt to stop a £900 phone from waking up in my pocket. I've just traded in my 3 year old s7 edge which I had no problems with and in fact even though it was 3 years old the battery lasted just as long as the s10 plus, but that's because it never went active in my pocket.

Apprentice

That doesnt work and unless you actually have this phone with the issue you cant really comment on it. Also no one who pays 1k for this phone should be having to jump hurdles for it to work properly. I sent mine and will continue to do the same if the problem persist until Samsung fixes the issue. This is a huge problem especially for the life of the battery.

Highlighted
Explorer

@slimboss07 wrote:

That doesnt work and unless you actually have this phone with the issue you cant really comment on it. Also no one who pays 1k for this phone should be having to jump hurdles for it to work properly. I sent mine and will continue to do the same if the problem persist until Samsung fixes the issue. This is a huge problem especially for the life of the battery.

For info, I have a S10+, and also had the same issue with my previous S9. Having reversed the changes I said before then I can replicate the issue on both devices, returning the settings rectified the issue and my S10 is dead to the World when the sensors are covered.

Must be device specific to some software versions.

Apprentice

@Richmar83 wrote:

@slimboss07 wrote:

For info, I have a S10+, and also had the same issue with my previous S9. Having reversed the changes I said before then I can replicate the issue on both devices, returning the settings rectified the issue and my S10 is dead to the World when the sensors are covered.

Must be device specific to some software versions.

Does the screen go completely off and hide the AOD? 

Apprentice

@Richmar83 wrote:

To prevent the pocket dials then within 'Settings' -> 'Display', turn on 'Accidental Touch protection'. This uses the front sensors to detect if screen is covered/ dark and prevents it activating.

For more protection, under Settings->Advanced Features->Motions and Gestires, turn off the 'Lift to Wake' option to prevent any motion activating the device

As per my original post I've tried both these options to no avail. 

Apprentice

Theres still no word from Samsung and i've noticed there have been a couple of software updates since this original post, unfortunately the problem is still present.

Explorer

The proximity sensor on the s10e seems to be the front camera. I made a phone call and when I use my finger to move across the top of the phone, screen screen turns off during the call when I cover the camera. Could it be the bug with the s10, S10+ and s10e be due to use of a camera as the sensor compared to all previous Samsung Galaxy phones which used a dedicated proximity sensor?

Apprentice

The proximity sensor on the s10 plus is just above where you see the % sign for the battery level it isnt in the camera. I have to say though that my phone is no longer turning on in my pocket ! Im wondering if samsung have sent out a fix under the guise of a camera update or something. The only in pocket activation that ive now had for around 1 week was Bixby answering some one that was talking to me even though my screen was locked and in my pocket. I have since disabled Bixby !

Explorer

Thanks for advising where the proximity sensor is, I can see a tiny flashing light just above the % symbol through the screen. For me the sensor seems to work intermittently.

Top Liked Authors