Support

Open search

S10 Battery Drain

Highlighted
Explorer

I was in two minds about upgrading to the S10 as my S8 was still working so flawlessly. But I finally made the switch, and so far I seem to have been lucky. I have only had the phone since Saturday, so it's still early days, but my battery seems pretty good. For reference, I have the regular S10 (Exynos), and am using on the Three network (UK). 

I spent some time reading through other users comments before upgrading, and even users of the same variant were having wildly different battery life experiences. One thing that popped up frequently was to not use smartswitch or restore from a backup, as this seemed to be causing many of the issues that plague the Exynos variants. So I set it up from scratch, manually added in my contacts, downloaded apps etc. 

Obviously the initial set-up ate the battery quickly, but after 3 charges it seems quite consistent already. I lose around 4%-5% overnight, which is similar to my S8 - I think this will improve a little over time. On Sunday I got around 6hrs of SOT just playing around with the phone (until it reached 5%), and yesterday I got over 3.5hrs SOT and still had 51% battery remaining. It is still early days, but so far I am impressed - will let you know if anything changes!

Highlighted
Navigator

@Ash037 wrote:

Made the switch from my iPhone X to the S10+ with the number 1 reason being for the big battery. I'm now on my second S10+ and both have had very poor battery life reaching a maximum screen time of 5 hours. For such an expensive flagship phone it should have superb battery out of the box it is ridiculous people are having to do all these tweaks. Even with the tweaks the battery life still seems to be poor. In hindsight it may have been a poor decision moving to the S10+ from an iPhone.

Yeah I find it shocking that iPhone....has an on par or better battery as iPhones are TERRIBLE on battery. I moved from iPhone to Sony this time last year - I was upset about the battery life on my Sony but once I figured out it was a walelock and disabled that, the battery life was great.  But I am experiencing the same issue with grain on wifi vs 4G - I would expect a difference but not to this degree

(with my optimizations, I am at 17 hours, 28 minutes on battery with about 2.5 hours SOT and at 56% battery - bear in mind though, that this time, I didn't charge up my phone for 10 mins before I left the flat - instead, I charged to 93% last night, lost 3% over the course of the night [approx. 8-8.5 hours this time] which gave me 90% when I left the flat...so if I had of fully charged my phone, I would be technically at 66% battery.  It's not the MOST ideal but I don't think it is terrible)

Highlighted
Explorer
I'm seriously considering going to another brand as this is just awfull. Not sure if I'm going back to apple but maybe huawei deserves a shot. It was already a hastle moving from iPhone to android.

I think I'll give Samsung 1 month to see if they can fix the problem if not I'm done with them.

Seriously how is a s7 edge easily out lasting my S10 when doing the same tasks. They are both on the same network and both exynos devices.
Highlighted
Navigator

@BorpZ wrote:
I'm seriously considering going to another brand as this is just awfull. Not sure if I'm going back to apple but maybe huawei deserves a shot. It was already a hastle moving from iPhone to android.

I think I'll give Samsung 1 month to see if they can fix the problem if not I'm done with them.

Seriously how is a s7 edge easily out lasting my S10 when doing the same tasks. They are both on the same network and both exynos devices.

my friend says she gets 2 days out of her P20 Pro on data saver mode.  I will NEVER go back to Apple but I was contemplating Huawei on and off over the last 1.5 years -the problem for me is I don't like the size (I want the Pro model) as it's FAR too big and I actually don't like the camera on it (that's a lie - I like the camera for some things but generally much prefer the Samsungs and even the Sonys to Huawei - mostly because I find the Huawei blows out backgrounds, especially in selfies).  I also don't like that I can't insert a micro SD card to expand the memory but hey ho....all personal preference

Highlighted
Explorer

Im at the same situation... Im gonna give them probably 2 more weeks or so, if nothing happens, no update or anything I'm just going to say bye bye to Samsung on mobiles phone for good and I may go back to Apple which didn't dissapoint me ever up to this level, or I'll give it a try to Huawei... 

I have a workmate with the P2 pro and his battery lasts for 2 days, I tell you I've seen it with my eyes with over 10 hours of SOT, it's amazing. 

Highlighted
Explorer

I just received a software update from Samsung,  released right now. It doesn't say anything about battery performance but mentions improving security and fixing bugs..... so....... we'll see! Though I don't have much hope! So far I can the same rhythm of losing 20% of battery for every hour of SOT

Highlighted
Navigator

Well here's to hoping that one of those bug fixes are to do with battery lol. I would say if you've done all the optimizations possible and saw no improvement then I would return as faulty and keep going hahaha. I am now coming up to 37% better life on over 20 hours off charge with 3.5 hours SOT today BUT one of my tasker settings malfunctioned and turned on my location in Google maps and didn't turn it back off for nearly the whole day.  Maps shouldn't be collecting data but you never know...it typically does which means battery drainage. 

Highlighted
Navigator

Second day with my third replacement. So better than my first two s10+sScreenshot_20190416-223857_Settings.jpg

Highlighted
Explorer

@Curt_Interludes wrote:

Second day with my third replacement. So better than my first two s10+sScreenshot_20190416-223857_Settings.jpg

That's not bad.... I would expect the same on mine but my best mark is exactly 1 hour below that one.... And still, I know of people who get +7 SOT approaching 8 hours. 

The update havent fixed the bugs so far for what I see... Last night the consumption was 8% over night on standby mode... 

Btw I had a reply from samsung saying the situation is normal on my phone.... WTF!!! I already placed an add on FB to sell it for god's sake! 

Highlighted
First Poster

Is it me or is everybody going over top about battery? Who stays away from a charger for so long? 5 to 6 hours screen on is reasonable..   mine lasts a day no probs even if I have been really been using heavy I put it on charge.

Top Liked Authors