Support

Open search

S10 Battery Drain

Apprentice

Do you have limited apps/syncing in the background to get that type of battery life?

Apprentice

I have sync on, WiFi and data on, but not to many apps though that would run in the background, I also do close apps down when I'm finished with them.

After my last charge I've been unplugged for 8hrs and after 2 hours 10 mins of on screen time, 35min YouTube the p30 has used 13% battery, if you work that out over 100% (I know not technically correct) that's about 14hrs screen time with 4hours of YouTube.... 

Explorer

@cara1 wrote:

I've made some additional changes and I think it has helped...

- I've changed the app wifi control access with the exception of Tasker which needs to control my wifi as I have it turning on/off at specific times

- I finally got the updated Chrome which supports dark mode

- I disabled the Samsung email app and am using Outlook app (for now as I can't automate the syncing on it so may change) instead. Was having problems sending emails via the Samsung email app and also having issues receiving them anyways 

- I have turned off autosync entirely on the phone - the downside to this is that my phone won't back up to Google this way - I am trying a few experiments with Tasker to try to automate this somehow but am still playing around with it (still receive notifications by doing this including whatsapp)

I am at nearly 1.5 hours SOT and am at 77% battery life - note that I only charge my phone to 93% before going to bed as it drains 3-4% overnight (the almost 10% drain a few weeks back seem to have disappeared....) so really at 87% battery life if I had of charged my phone to 100% overnight and unplug when I leave for work. 

I think some other stuff has been pushed to the phone as my keyboard does weird things now - it's not uncommon for this to happen without doing any formal updates but we will see. 

You can set up a Bixby routine that turns on sync when charging and turns it off when the phone is discharging.

Thanks for the tips, will try them out

Navigator
I have done this via tasker. I have set up autosync to be off unless plugged in to any power source which has probably made a difference (the only thing that won't sync is my Google backup - I am using Outlook as a mail client though it is annoying me that I can't automate this syncing through the app or through tasker atm). I would ideally set up my phone to have:

- autosync on when connected to wifi and plugged in (instead of just plugged into any power source);

- mobile data disable when connected to wifi (this is supposed to happen but I've seen a few say it doesn't quite work that way);

- if 4G connection strength is weak, switch to 2G/3G (I think this requires root - have been searching for profiles but haven't found any to do this)

- when display is off, if on mobile data, switch to 2G/3G (again, think this requires root but have been searching on and off for some profiles)
First Poster

I'm on the regular S10 Exynos, G973F/DS. I managed to get 5hrs, 30mins SOT,  30hrs on battery, with 20% remaining. I'm on wifi all the time, black wallpaper and theme, optimized setting with adaptive power saving, apps put on sleep when not in use. Apps I use are mostly social media apps facebook,messenger, instagram,youtube, netflix, spotify, samsung browser. Is this good battery life? And also I noticed at night when I sleep I still loose around 12-15% (7hrs). I came from an almost 5year old Galaxy S5, and the standby on my old phone is a beast, just loses 1% overnight. It just saddens me that the my new S10 drains so much overnight. :( I tried 3 part resetting, and factory reset but to no avail...Screenshot_20190513-173512_Settings.jpg

Explorer

That's good battery life, especially for the smaller device.

There was a bug that was causing big standby drain but it should have been fixed in the April update. You shouldn't be losing more than 1% an hour over night if it's working properly. (I manage that on wifi with 2 sims and a secure work profile)

I think people always get distracted by the 24+ hour usage shots. Provided that the standby drain is fixed, the only difference between a 5hour Sot/ 24 hour standby and 5hour sot / 16 hour standby is that 5% of battery where someone hasn't used their device overnight.

It's always tough to compare but if you are able to use the phone as much as you need without running out of battery between charges then that's pretty good right? 

@Dabided wrote

I'm on the regular S10 Exynos, G973F/DS. I managed to get 5hrs, 30mins SOT,  30hrs on battery, with 20% remaining. I'm on wifi all the time, black wallpaper and theme, optimized setting with adaptive power saving, apps put on sleep when not in use. Apps I use are mostly social media apps facebook,messenger, instagram,youtube, netflix, spotify, samsung browser. Is this good battery life? And also I noticed at night when I sleep I still loose around 12-15% (7hrs). I came from an almost 5year old Galaxy S5, and the standby on my old phone is a beast, just loses 1% overnight. It just saddens me that the my new S10 drains so much overnight. :( I tried 3 part resetting, and factory reset but to no avail...Screenshot_20190513-173512_Settings.jpg

First Poster

Thanks for

@Mtm1401 wrote:

That's good battery life, especially for the smaller device.

There was a bug that was causing big standby drain but it should have been fixed in the April update. You shouldn't be losing more than 1% an hour over night if it's working properly. (I manage that on wifi with 2 sims and a secure work profile)

I think people always get distracted by the 24+ hour usage shots. Provided that the standby drain is fixed, the only difference between a 5hour Sot/ 24 hour standby and 5hour sot / 16 hour standby is that 5% of battery where someone hasn't used their device overnight.

It's always tough to compare but if you are able to use the phone as much as you need without running out of battery between charges then that's pretty good right? 

@Dabided wrote

Thanks for the assurance! Nevetheless the battery is good performance wise. Its just really standby the bothers me. 12% is a lot.

Explorer
Yea that does sound too high, guessing there is no obvious culprits in device care > battery if you check it first thing in the morning? Also worth checking cpu spy reloaded just to check its entering deep sleep
Highlighted
Pathfinder

Ok so after raving on about how Bixby Routines will reduce battery power I can confirm that since my phone came off charge at 7am this morning im only at 85% battery remaining, that in itself is an achievement. Next I need to see how long it last till im down to 2 or 1%. I'll keep an eye and post the screenshot but so far I think Bixby Routines are working good for me.

Navigator

Which routines?  There are many plus custom...I have disabled all things Bixby and use Tasker. It can do SO many additional things (still looking for those profiles though...I may consider rooting my phone at some point)

Top Liked Authors