Support

Open search

S10 Battery Drain

Highlighted
Explorer

Now that I think about it...... FB and WhatsApp are currently having troubles worldwide.... and suddenly my battery seems to be working better... is it because these 2 apps are  not working??? LOL.

Truth is that out of the 2 hours of SOT the phone had been unplugged only 3 hours ago... so, the phone is clearly draining a lot of battery when on stand by 

Highlighted
Navigator

@WynD wrote:

@cara1 wrote:
@WynD- I only did yesterday as an experiment and ended up at over 10 hours SOT yesterday before I decided to plug it in - kind of like seeing how far you can drive a car on "empty" LOL. I still wish we could control the auto-sync settings a little more (are you listening Samsung?) - especially with regards to accounts like Google and WhatsApp mostly because I've seen my WhatsApp try to backup at random times as as well which also drains battery.

WhatsApp trying to backup at random times?  It isn't supposed to make the backup when you configure it in the app itself? Mine's supposed to back up once every week. 

I'm doing an experiment now with my mobile and it's apparently working better than yesterday, so far 80% battery  with 1hr 58 min of use.... yesterday for the same it was close to 60%....

I am having the YouTube on with videos and music all day long....

Yeah- any moment there is a wifi connection WhatsApp tries to back up which is ANNOYING  I only want it to backup once per day while I am sleeping but can't find any controls 

I don't use regular YT anymore - I use Vanced which removes all ads

Highlighted
Navigator

Highlighted
Navigator

Just got my third replacemnt (don't ask), first 30 minutes SOT im on 89% battery, just going to let it learn my patterns before im critical 

Highlighted
Explorer

Third replacement?! I've been trying unsuccessfully to get a replacement for my S10+! I was told by Samsung over 3 weeks ago I would receive one, I've since been told 3 times that they have no stock to send me! I don't understand how this can be the case ,I could walk into any phone store here in the UK and buy one, it's their flagship device! How do they not have stock?! So frustrated! 

Highlighted
Explorer

Maybe you are getting the next batch, how lucky..

Explorer

I did a test today, Left the house at 12 got back at 7 with 28% of battery, i didnt use the phone constantly but i played music for 2 hours which got me to 70% and then i did abit of general browsing, and used a tiny bit of social websites aka snapchat instagram and faxebook, from other phone videos ive seeen a 3,400mah battery gets over 5-6 screen ontime so for me to be left with 28% thats great in my opinion, Had adaptive battery on until 60% then turnt on medium power saving mode 

Highlighted
Navigator

@Albann wrote:

I did a test today, Left the house at 12 got back at 7 with 28% of battery, i didnt use the phone constantly but i played music for 2 hours which got me to 70% and then i did abit of general browsing, and used a tiny bit of social websites aka snapchat instagram and faxebook, from other phone videos ive seeen a 3,400mah battery gets over 5-6 screen ontime so for me to be left with 28% thats great in my opinion, Had adaptive battery on until 60% then turnt on medium power saving mode 

Funny you should mention the battery switch - I have literally just put in a Tasker command to switch battery mode at 70% and have been creating a bunch of automated demands, including syncs, etc (though not down to app level as Synker needs an additional app which apparently doesn't work...) - this after giving Tasker and Autotools some ADB commands (I've just made it so that Google maps can access location but only when I have Google Maps up...otherwise location is off).  I have also given some wifi "off" commands while I am at work - just have to figure out how to make it completely location-based otherwise if I go somewhere during the week or work from home my wifi will be turned off automatically lol!!

Highlighted
Explorer

Is it still giving you good results cara? I mean are you now getting like over 7 hours SOT?

Highlighted
Navigator

(I tried writing this while I was on my way to work but couldn't login on my phone so this is a copy/paste of what I had originally written)

Yes. Yesterday I had around 7 hours sot and was doing some heavy stuff on it - had an issue with Google Play where it wasn't installing apps which at one point drained my battery considerably (found out I had blocked a necessary app for installing apps lol - whoops!).  Have patience though as I don't expect results absolutely right away and especially when I'm part-way through the day.

I have automated my phone and changed my behaviour to see what I get (I will continue to find automation techniques as well as I saw on Reddit some people able to squeeze out an extra day or twos' worth of battery on their phones [not S10]). I now am charging my phone to about 90% before I go to sleep and then take it off charge for the night.

I have automated Glimpse to stop working at about 10:30pm until about 7:30am and then automatically turn on  

I have automated several things in Tasker - now from 11:30pm to 7:30am every night my phone automatically goes into medium power mode, auto sync is off for that time, screen brightness is lowered, and display is timed to about 20 seconds.  Then from 7:31am onwards everything comes back on (this being 15 mins before I leave my flat for work generally so that things can download over wifi, etc.).  In the same time period (7.5 hours) last night I lost 3% battery total as opposed to the night before where I lost around about 4%.  It's only 1% but it all eventually adds up in my eyes.

I have also automated location settings so they are off unless I am "in" certain apps that I know need access to location data but I don't want location to be "on" on my phone (I even made my phone notify me when I go into/out of the app that location is turned on/off lol!!).

I've automated that whenever my display is off, then my phone goes into medium power saving mode.

When my phone is on charge, it will remain in "optimized" mode regardless of battery %

When my phone reaches 70% battery I have it automatically switch to medium power saver mode (it's easy enough to change the % but I'm starting here)

I have it set so far based on day of week and time, to turn wifi off so that when I am at work it isn't pinging servers looking for wifi (I don't connect to company wifi)  

So far have done all my normal networking and phone tasks this morning and instead of losing 5-6% battery in the same timeframe, I've lost 3%.  Not sure if it has anything to do with my automation or whether I've just not done my "usual routine" on the tube of playing candy crush but rather been typing on here.  Either way I will take it (though I have played some CC and checked FB/LI quickly while on my way to work)

I will be constantly tweaking these to make it better as I go (especially as I've just realized that Whatsapp backs up at 2am for which I've stopped...so might need to make an exception) but I've at least started with a baseline which was a lot more than what I had previously.  Still trying to figure out how I can keep autosync on during the day for emails and stuff but make my phone/Whatsapp back up to Google Drive at a specific state (e.g. on wifi AND plugged in [any type]) - I'm sure it's possible!

Top Liked Authors