Support

Open search

S10 Battery Drain

Highlighted
Explorer

They've got to be defective. I purchased the s10+, using only power saver  my phone had used 5% over 11 hours (though wasnt used). I know the battery for the plus variant is larger, but not enough to make that sort of difference

Explorer

Can anyone advise how battery life on the regular S10 compares to the regular S8? I may have the opportunity to upgrade through my job, but there has been a lot of negative feedback on the S10, particularly battery life on the Exynos variant.

I'm hesitant to upgrade as my S8 is running amazingly well (it has since day 1), and i've had no noticeable battery degradation in the 2 years I've owned it. It would be a such shame to upgrade and be disappointed!

Highlighted
Apprentice
Highlighted
First Poster

I've been following this thread and was also too concerned about my S10 Exynos. It wasn't lasting a full day, which my S7 was always good with.

I didn't reset my phone, as I see no purpose of reset and then restoring the data and I'm sure there is no OS level issue with a new phone.

I cleared the cache+all data for all google apps (play service, play store, google) and then restarted to wipe the cache partition.

Just to be safe I also disabled touch to wake and tap to wake and also setup bixby routines to switch off Bluetooth at night and wifi outside home.

Plus I set the theme to night mode (honestly, I find it better to use always, don't know why google changed android to white in the first place!!)

My battery is now doing better than I'd have thought, after 15 hours of disconnecting the charger (includes night time of 6-7hrs) I'm still at 69%. It shows expected 16.5hrs more at this rate.

This is a sudden change from the earlier total life of 17 hrs in total (based on my typical usage).

So I don't believe in the "battery is learning" *****, there is an issue with google play service/ cache partition, and it may be easy to fix for most and hope it doesn't reoccur.

Who is to blame is not clear as I've had trouble with google play services draining battery on multiple android phones earlier.. and in early days of my S7 too.

Highlighted
First Poster

Did what you said. Not working. 

Highlighted
Apprentice

Replacement phone arriving today! I’ll let you know if the battery life is better than the current one! 

Highlighted
Explorer

how did u get replacement phone?

Highlighted
Navigator

I too am having severe problems.  Last night I decided to clear the partition cache as I imported apps and data from a Sony phone a few days prior - I am well aware that it also imported apps specific to the Sony environment that I subsequently deleted and so could have caused an issue.  I've had zero luck with any battery savings today.  I have also turned the tap to wake off, edge screen is off, AOD is off, screen brightness is at about 40%, edge lighting is off, accidental touch protection is on, have played around with the app categorizations in the developer mode and set most of them to "rare" usage, have Bixby Routine on for nighttime, lift to wake turned off...what else is there to do?!?!?!?

I've noticed that even when you put an app to sleep, it can still run in the background however, it is Google Play Services that REALLY drains the battery - I had the same issue sometimes with my Sony which had AMAZING battery life (the XZ2) but I could always force stop Goolge Play....however this doesn't seem to be the easiest to do on the Samsung - I can't put the app to sleep (or any of the "system" apps that I don't need or want) even when using the developer tools (with the Sony I could manually change how all apps, including system apps, ran in the background - I can't do that with the Samsung).  I also noticed that when you put an app to sleep on the Samsung AND have closed it completely, it STILL runs in the background...perhaps a software glitch??

My Sony had another glitch with the Android system (the wakelock service) which would malfunction constantly and significantly drain my battery but I could force stop that (sometimes it would stop the locked screen clock from working though lol!).

I absolutely LOVE the phone over my Sony but the battery life on the Samsung is SHOCKINGLY poor - far worse than even iPhone (when I was an Apple user once upon a time...).  I will try a factory reset tonight as it wouldn't surprise me if there is some sort of Sony app misbehaving with the Samsung O/S which would make sense but not looking forward to re-setting my settings.  This feels like should be something that can be fixed with a software update...particularly as the Sony had the ability to exert more "control" over apps

Highlighted
Explorer

@cara1 wrote:

I too am having severe problems.  Last night I decided to clear the partition cache as I imported apps and data from a Sony phone a few days prior - I am well aware that it also imported apps specific to the Sony environment that I subsequently deleted and so could have caused an issue.  I've had zero luck with any additional battery today.  I have also turned the tap to wake off, edge screen is off, AOD is off, screen brightness is at about 40%, edge lighting is off, accidental touch protection is on, have played around with the app categorizations in the developer mode and set most of them to "rare" usage, have Bixby Routine on for nighttime, lift to wake turned off...what else is there to do?!?!?!?

I've noticed that even when you put an app to sleep, it can still run in the background however, it is Google Play Services that REALLY drains the battery - I had the same issue sometimes with my Sony which had AMAZING battery life (the XZ2) but I could always force stop Goolge Play....but...even in developer tools on the S10, I can't stop Google Play or change the background settings like I could on my Sony (I could manually change how all apps ran in the background including system apps).  My Sony also had issues with one of the Android system apps  as well (the Wakelock service) which would malfunction constantly and significantly drain my battery which I could most of the time, force stop.  That doesn't seem to be the case on the S10.  I absolutely LOVE the phone over my Sony but the battery life on the Samsung is SHOCKINGLY poor - far worse than even iPhone (when I was an Apple user once upon a time...).  I will try a factory reset tonight as it wouldn't surprise me if there is some sort of Sony app misbehaving with the Samsung O/S which would make sense but not looking forward to re-setting my settings.  This feels like something that can be fixed with a software update...

Have you tried clearing the Google play services app Storage Cache data and Clear data. This fixed the issue I had with the s10e .Otherwise when I had the OnePlus phone. I backed up the key date, then factory reset, restored the data but not the apps .I installed the apps one by one to see which was the rogue app. That fixed it for me in my OnePlus phone.

Highlighted
Apprentice

I so far am loving the battery life. My 9plus was terrible. I am getting between 12 and 15hrs of usage on one charge. This is with heavy usage, texting, fb,ig, music, chatting ,and phone calls. Maybe I'm traumatized from the 9plus, but I'm satisfied so far. The show charge is shooting though. 

Top Liked Authors