Support

Open search

Proximity issues - not switching off on calls

Apprentice

Hi - is anyone else having issues when making calls using the Samsung dialer or WhatsApp calls?

Every time I use the phone as an actual phone in the daylight the proximity sensor doesn't keep the screen switched off and I'm inviting people to calls, cutting people off changing to flight mode.

Very frustrating!!! I've tried changing the sensitivity and putting on accidental touch protection but still the same in daylight. Not as bad in the dark but does still happen

3 REPLIES 3
Explorer
Hi, Mate!

May I know if the issue only persist in WhatsApp call feature? Or if the issue still persist using the Phone Call/normal call in your phone?
If issue still persist in a normal call (possible the proximity sensor does not work), may I know if this is not happening on your phone previously?
If yes, there could be a problem on the proximity sensor of your phone. Please make sure to place the phone near your ear and use authorized screen protector for device ( since some protectors might affect this function ).

Possible troubleshooting steps:
1. Remove screen protectors or case on your phone to check if it will work.
2. Run your phone to Safe Mode ( will disable 3rd party app to check if some applications affect this function ); ( turn off your phone> turn on> once your phone is on Samsung logo, please press and hold the volume down until you see the word ''safe mode'' ). Once your phone is one safe mode, please observe if the proximity sensor are working by calling your preferred contact and check if your phone screen will turn off. If screen are turning off, please uninstall 3rd party applications one by one to fix the issue.
3. If issue still persist in safe mode, please check if you have pending software update in your phone through Settings> Software update> Download and install.
4. Next step is factory data reset, please backup your phone and remove Google Account before performing the reset.

If those steps does not work, that would be the time where Samsung Engineers need to inspect your device to determine if what is causing this issue on your device.

Thank you!
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hardware test: 

go over to your dial pad and type in *#0*#, this will bring up a number of tests.

One will be the sensors.

A Samsung Experienace Store or Samsung Service Centre will be able to run a diagnostic.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Highlighted
Superuser II
Superuser II

Yes, I have the issue too. Sometimes the screen stays on during the call, sometimes it stays off after the call.