Support

Open search

Prevent certain apps from completely using data

Navigator

Just came from an iPhone who had this feature for years.

Certain apps like YT, SKYPE, I just don't want to be able to use ny 3g data at all. So once they are off the wifi they should be unabled to be used.

I know data saver, or limiting the background data is not it. So am I missing something?

6 REPLIES 6
AndrewL Moderator
@Venom7000: This may be related to your WiFi settings, therefore please go to Settings > Connections > WiFi > Tap the 3 dots in the top right > Advanced > Switch to Mobile Data > Off. This should stop apps such as Skype switching to Mobile Data when outside the range of your WiFi router. Hope this helps.
Navigator

@AndrewL wrote:
@Venom7000: This may be related to your WiFi settings, therefore please go to Settings > Connections > WiFi > Tap the 3 dots in the top right > Advanced > Switch to Mobile Data > Off. This should stop apps such as Skype switching to Mobile Data when outside the range of your WiFi router. Hope this helps.

Hello,

Thank you for replying.  No this is not my issue.

Imagine this scenario.

I am leaving my house. I am now on the streets half a mile of my home wifi. I want WhatsApp and Viber and emails to use phone data (internet allowance) but I dont want to allow Youtube or certain other apps to use data. Even if I open them while off any wifi and while I am on my 3g network. 

I just dont want some apps to be able to use internet outside the wifi connection.

If that makes sense?

P.s- I am also not sure if the option you suggested will prevent Youtube which I am browsing on my home wifi to not switch over to data if say my wifi cut off with out me noticing.

Navigator
I am talking about completely snuffing out any possibility for Youtube to use data either in case of my home wifi cutting of with out me noticing or when I am in the city and off wifi.
Make certain apps only functional when I am connected to wifi. Otherwise they are not allowed to use phone data in any scenario.
AndrewL Moderator
@Venom7000: There are a few settings in the Youtube app that can help, however they don't address your query completely. Open Youtube > Tap the profile image in the top right > Settings > General > Limit Mobile Data Usage > On. The steps above will stop Youtube from switching to mobile data unexpectedly so you should be fine, however if you physically open the app while outside the range of your router with Mobile Data enabled, it will utilise the data connection. If you open Youtube while there's no WiFi or Mobile Data connection then it just says 'you are not connected to the internet' so there's no danger of it using your data. Outside of that, I advise that you avoid opening the app while Mobile Data is active.
Navigator
I turned it on but it says its only for HD payback.
So there is no option to do this in os?!
You'd think that Android would have this since its a no brainier.
Dont want to advocate any free advertising but iphone had this option for 9years!
Im sorry nothing against you (I see that you are trying to help me) but this is just straight up stupid from Androids side!
Navigator
So there is legit no solution to this?
Top Liked Authors