Support

Open search

Prevent certain apps from completely using data

Highlighted
First Poster

i see this topic is old, but for anyone else visiting, settings>data usage>background data, or whatever the equivalent path is on your phone, allows you to select what apps you don't want using background data. the apps you select would require you to open the app in the forground in order for them to use data. phones are all different, though. you might have to try a different path, like settings>data usage>app>app settings>wifi only. i'm just an average joe so i can't tell you any more than that but the feature you're looking for is on your phone somewhere.

Highlighted
Voyager
Again, not the same my friend. It prevents the apps from using data in background. But not when you have the app open yourself.

Its about being sure that your app you are using RN is not disconnected from WIFI and starting to use data (with our your consent) :)
Highlighted
Explorer

If I remember correctly, there's this app that can help you with this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.faircode.netguard

Highlighted
Voyager
True. But we are asking Samsung to get their heads out of their asses and integrate this feature in to the os by default. If we are constantly ok with them skipping no brainer features and keep patching the problems with 3rd party apps. Samsung will never feel the need to fix anything and only get worse.
Such option shouldn't require you to download a 3rd party app.
But still thank you for the app link. I went to see it :)
Highlighted
Observer

Manage app dataManage app data

This is a really useful feature that must be integrated!

Highlighted

Hi all,

We asked our developers about this one. They have no current plans to implement this feature, but they are looking into both its feasability from an OS point-of-view and also the user demand for it.

In the meantime (and I appreciate it's not the ideal), they've recommended that if the Data Saver is enabled (Settings > Connections > Data Usage > Data Saving Mode, for those out there unaware of how to get to it in the settings) then not using Mobile Data until the moment an app is launched.

Say "Hello!" to the Community in The Introduce Yourself Thread.

Highlighted
First Poster

Is there a place where we can sumbit our complaints? It's a very stupid thing not having this feature. I'm not a software engineer, but I don't think it's that difficult to integrate this feature in the Samsung devices.

Voyager

Yes there is. You submit your suggestions via Members app.

Then you get a nice piece of no reply from anyone.

Or (as mod above me) says, someone replies to you saying that they dont have enough user interest to develop/integrate such feature. Or its "hard" to implement this in to the OS

Samsung is a joke.

Highlighted
First Poster

then don't open the app! hey doctor, it hurts when i hit myself with this hammer!!
if you go to settings>apps then open each one there should be a permissions section you can click to control what apps can do. i've had 4 different samsung phones and on each one could control whether ALL apps can only update over wifi and even set whether the update over wifi is automatic or manual. 

Highlighted
Voyager

Its not about opening apps or updates s******d. Its about using them via Wifi that can suddenly disconnect or drop out. And the app continuing media via 4G. (With out you knowing. For example youtube playlist or Netflix)

I repeat its not about updating them.

Why dont people read anything before commenting like a smart ass.

Top Liked Authors