Support

Open search

Not getting WhatsApp notifications consistent with my current settings

SOLVED
Apprentice

I've just got an S10 and I must say I absolutely adore the phone - it is perfect for me!

That said, I'm struggling with an extremely frustrating issue - randomly (probably 75% of the time), if I get a WhatsApp message, my phone won't vibrate (or play the notification sound, if my phone is on loud). I have the always-on screen enabled and I can tell I have a new message because the icon is on the screen, however my phone usually lives in my pocket so I end up missing 75% of messages because WhatsApp won't vibrate the phone randomly.

All the notification settings look fine, and I think it works normally for around an hour or so after a phone reboot, then it starts randomly dropping notifications again. No other apps have this issue, everything else conforms to the alert settings I have.

This is my main messaging app and this issue is ruining the experience for me. Has anyone had similar issues, or know of any fixes?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Apprentice

Hi all,

I thought I would chime back in to say I have solved the issue for myself, I realised that I only wasn't getting vibration/sound notifications when I received an image as part of the message. When I googled this I found out buried in the notification settings there is an option to 'enable silent notifications'. I disabled this and it is working completely fine now.

Setting can be found in phone settings > notifications > whatsapp > Silent notifications (turn off)

23 REPLIES 23
Troubleshooter

@jonescameron wrote:

I've just got an S10 and I must say I absolutely adore the phone - it is perfect for me!

That said, I'm struggling with an extremely frustrating issue - randomly (probably 75% of the time), if I get a WhatsApp message, my phone won't vibrate (or play the notification sound, if my phone is on loud). I have the always-on screen enabled and I can tell I have a new message because the icon is on the screen, however my phone usually lives in my pocket so I end up missing 75% of messages because WhatsApp won't vibrate the phone randomly.

All the notification settings look fine, and I think it works normally for around an hour or so after a phone reboot, then it starts randomly dropping notifications again. No other apps have this issue, everything else conforms to the alert settings I have.

This is my main messaging app and this issue is ruining the experience for me. Has anyone had similar issues, or know of any fixes?

Thanks!

Sorry can’t help on this one, I use WhatsApp all the time phone vibrates and plays all custom notifications I’ve set. Hold the WhatsApp icon have a look at info. This is my settings and all works a treat.FEC24B16-575D-4F9F-BB88-8669BE4AF7FA.jpeg

Troubleshooter

70625DBB-6EBA-43EB-A3D7-4650C8FBE0D3.jpeg

Apprentice

Had the same problem but with about 4/5 apps no sounds no vibrations and nothing in status bar, but when I open what's app there's a new message. Only way I've got anothing to show up is to use light edge, but still nothing comes up in status bar.

Highlighted
Troubleshooter

Do you have / Status bar  Show notifications enabled?

F30462C2-E248-4016-AD10-B15838A6EA24.jpeg

Apprentice

Absolutely everything has been enabled, I've tried everything. With my gear s watch connected that vibrates and shows I have a notifications but nothing shows on phone. Driving me crazy, I dont wonna hard reset it yet. 

Observer

I have this same problem too.  It only started a week ago.  When my phone is locked, I get no notifications at all.  When it unlocks, still no notifications (no sounds or vibrations despite all the settings done properly).  It takes 2 minutes before a message from 1h ago to show on the status bar with the sound and vibration.  

It is frustrating because I am replying to people very late and now I check my phone every 5 minutes in fear of missing an important text message.

I need a solution for this problem soon...

Explorer

@Nikki17 wrote:

I have this same problem too.  It only started a week ago.  When my phone is locked, I get no notifications at all.  When it unlocks, still no notifications (no sounds or vibrations despite all the settings done properly).  It takes 2 minutes before a message from 1h ago to show on the status bar with the sound and vibration.  

It is frustrating because I am replying to people very late and now I check my phone every 5 minutes in fear of missing an important text message.

I need a solution for this problem soon...

That sounds like WhatsApp is being put to sleep by the optimisation settings and only kicking in again when the phone wakes up. 

Settings → Apps → WhatsApp.(from here check)

1. Mobile Data. (Make sure "Allow Background Data" is turned on)

2. Battery.  Make sure WhatsApp isn't being Optimised and that Allow Background Activity is turned on.

3. Notifications. Just double check they are all set how you want.

Apprentice

Hi all,

I thought I would chime back in to say I have solved the issue for myself, I realised that I only wasn't getting vibration/sound notifications when I received an image as part of the message. When I googled this I found out buried in the notification settings there is an option to 'enable silent notifications'. I disabled this and it is working completely fine now.

Setting can be found in phone settings > notifications > whatsapp > Silent notifications (turn off)

First Poster
Had that too. Thanks for your help!
Top Liked Authors