Support

Open search

Let's talk about the chin on the S10 line up

Highlighted
Explorer

I know this has been brought up before, and that many people think it's a petty topic, but I dont. 

I read in a few posts that android manufacturers haven't got rid of the chin because its just too costly. Apple removed the chin and achieved a very nice symmetrical look by bending the screen the back on itself to move the connector away from the bottom.

If this was a cost thing, how has samsung not achieved this after charging around 1,000 for their phones? 

If the note 10 has the same chin as the S10 then the engineers over at samsung must be doing something wrong.

The very slim side bezel makes the chin look even more apparent to me. 

I really like the s10 so far but the chin is ugly imo. Humans like symmetry. If the chin was the same size as the top bezel the phone would look much more elegant. Now this is all just my opinion, you will all have your own. 

(Little side note; how hasn't samsung managed to fix the proximity bug on the s10 phones after almost 4 months of the phone being out?)

Current Phone: Galaxy S10 128GB Exynos SoC | Model SM-G973F
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Helping Hand

@MustafaIslam wrote:

I know this has been brought up before, and that many people think it's a petty topic, but I dont. 

I read in a few posts that android manufacturers haven't got rid of the chin because its just too costly. Apple removed the chin and achieved a very nice symmetrical look by bending the screen the back on itself to move the connector away from the bottom.

If this was a cost thing, how has samsung not achieved this after charging around 1,000 for their phones? 

If the note 10 has the same chin as the S10 then the engineers over at samsung must be doing something wrong.

The very slim side bezel makes the chin look even more apparent to me. 

I really like the s10 so far but the chin is ugly imo. Humans like symmetry. If the chin was the same size as the top bezel the phone would look much more elegant. Now this is all just my opinion, you will all have your own. 

(Little side note; how hasn't samsung managed to fix the proximity bug on the s10 phones after almost 4 months of the phone being out?)

Thanks to gestures as a replacement or the navbar and thats the reason primarily reserved for the chin.

Sadly because android Q will use the same, it will not be closer to the chin. My only workaround is Nova launcher which I can remove the padding at chin. Yes OREO was a sweet cookie and PIE is half baked still until samsung listens to our arguements over it.

Highlighted
Apprentice

I totally agree with you, I can't understand this chin. Design would be much nicer without the chin. I hate the hole too, but I hate the chin even more than the hole. I have a s10e and I love its design but the chin always makes me frown...

Highlighted
Pathfinder
I mean, coming from the S9+ the chin is smaller indeed, in the Note 10 it's even smaller. I don't mind it that much because everything is in dark mode and bends well even the keyboard. It's hard these days to recognize which side is the up and which is the down on a phone and other things. All look the same. I mean Samsung has a lot of work to do still. They're polishing and their software and hardware needs to be polished. Listen to customer reports is the best way...
Thank you for the help!
On my S10+!
Top Liked Authors