Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Keypad and DTMF tones not working during a call

(Topic created on: 20-01-2020 10:07 AM)
taffw
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

I have a new Samsung Galaxy S10 plus and it seems to be upto date with all software. basically during a call the keypad and DTMF tones don't work, so when i'm through to say a call centre when it says please enter option 1 or 2 etc, it doesn't register at all so very frustrating. I did a chat with Samsung and tried all the things he suggested but nothing. He then said well you will have to contact our Samsung Web developers !! which is frankly quite dissappointing. It still isn't fixed and means I can't do thing like contact my bank or enter payment details during a call. I've come over from Apple and so far not impressed at all. Does anybody have the same issues or any suggestions. i'm on Vodafone. This to me is basic called but it doesn't seem to work or is my phone faulty?

79 REPLIES 79
overlycomplicat
Journeyman
Options

@overlycomplicat wrote:

solved here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?s=a44fa754d5537a1f1b4932075fe11772&p=74816271&postcoun... 

works for me, too 🙂

I should add that sometimes I experience the same problem if I activate speakerphone.... If I hang up and try again without speakerphone it works. ****** samsung software...

sbaldaramos
Student
Options

This worked for me.  Thank you.

0 Likes
sbaldaramos
Student
Options
This worked for me.
0 Likes
MikeP1
Student
Options

This worked for me, even though my 'do not disturb' setting is set to scheduled, as soon as I turned it off completely, the keypad touches were recognised for voicemail, even if I cannot hear any tone myself, it is registering with voicemail, which was failing with 'do not disturb' enabled.

So I turned 'do not disturb' back on, and then when into the 'Allow Exceptions' and in there there is a setting for 'Touch Sounds' which I then turned on.  

Then I tried the voicemail again, and it still worked!

0 Likes
Smig73
First Poster
Options

Hi, my partner's had the same problem and it's taken me a while but I've found the actual answer. 
Forget DTMF settings and polishing your SIM's contacts. 
1. with your dialling pad open just press the volume button ( up or down, doesn't matter ). 
2. Tap the little down chevron in the top right corner of the volume bar. 
3. You'll now see that your System sounds (bottom of the list on an S7) are set all the way to the left. Just slide it right and you're good to go. 

Don't quite know why no one appears to know about this at Samsung but I'm an iOS fan so I'm accustomed to finding the answers myself. 

Mutsch
First Poster
Options

Note a related point for new users -- be aware there are two different displays relative to phone calls:

1) the "phone" keypad

2) the "active-call status" keypad

The second one shows up when you are in an active call and it displays additional button icons like "speakerphone" and "mute".  For me, the active-call screen is the ONLY one that can send DTMF tones while in a call.

Beware: If you exit the active-call screen to use another app while in a phone call, the telephone icon on your main screen will NOT bring you back to the active-call status screen -- instead, it brings up the regular phone keypad (without the additional buttons) and this one will NOT send out DTMF tones within your active call (at least not on MY S10).

You need to return to the "active-call status" screen if you want to do anything with your active phone call -- like send key tones or hang up the call.  You do this via the "notifications" list -- depending on your display settings, this list is usually called up by dragging down from the top of your display.  This will open the list and you will find your active phone call there.  Tap that item and your display will return to the active phone call keypad.  Voila!

Sharon71
Apprentice
Options

Hi, did you resolve this? I too have just bought my first Samsung (S10) as I wanted to make the switch from apple and have the same problem. I've done everything samsung suggested for them to just state it must be a problem with the app and to contact the supplier directly - so frustrating!!

0 Likes
BTJ
First Poster
Options

I would like to point out that Samsung galaxy phone (not sure if applicable to all) has ability to set various sound/tone volume (for Media, Ringtone, Notification and System) independently from one another. You can get to that setting by pressing the volume up or down button one time till you can see the current setting of one of volume, then use your finger or pen by draging down the _ sign at tge lower middle part of the popup screen that display the volume setting. My observation is that the volume of the number dial pad tone is linked to the 'System' volume. To get dial pad tone, we need to enable the dial pad tone AND make sure the System volume is not set to 0.

Take note that any setting that silences the phone, will set the System volume to 0, thus also make the dial pad tone not audible, even if the dial pad tone is still set to enabled.

I think this is where the problem with the samsung phone dialpad tone setting lies. It should not be linked to 'System' volume, which setting is not immediately made visible to user who press the volume button but not drag down to completely expand the volume setting pop up display.

If the volume popup display is made to always all the various volume settings at once, user will sure notice quickly that the "System" volume is being silenced and can adjust it accordingly.

I think the 2 level volume setting display is completely unnecessary, but add to user confussion when using the phone.

I love to use Samsung Phone, and hope that Samsung software engineer will see this post as constructive feedback to make their phone even better in terms of positive user experience.

Screenshot_20191214-170159_Chrome.jpg

Siddharth2111
First Poster
Options

I have Samsung Galaxy S10. I was not able to press and choice on IVRS menu in any call.

I went to Settings --> System sounds and vibrations --> Dialing keypad tone. It was switched on. I switched it off.

This resolved my issue.

Thanks,

Sidd

Solution
SuperPhoneWizar
First Poster
Options

Real true actual working solution:

1) Try all of the above methods excluding the one involving installing a phone app

2) Each time test it by phoning relevant number

3) By now you've run out of airtime. Go buy some more

4) Now turn your phone off

5) Now turn your phone on

That fixed my problem. For you? Who knows...