Support

Open search

Galaxy s10e USB connection type default in Android Auto

First Poster

I've managed to get Android Auto operational with my S10 and 2018 Civic Si. Initially I had trouble with it but some info on Google that suggested it was related to the USB connection mode and it was suggested to switch to developer mode, enable USB Debugging, and then USB Tethering as the default connection style. This worked initially but for whatever reason is does not remember the setting. Even if I select it as default. Every time I remove the phone from the USB or turn the car off and reconnect I am required to pull down the notification screen, select, USB options, and reselect USB tethering.

For whatever reason my selection of making the USB tethering the default connection type is not sticking. It's a pain in the butt to have to reset it every time I hook the phone up in my car.

Any ideas how to fix this?

11 REPLIES 11
Mastermind

Could be radio sytem get another ID or something, in the same menu, try reboque all the USB connection and define again as you did early.

 

Also it is important to read note in Default Settings USB, for that reason you will need to unblock phone before connect to engined car and working radio system 

Mastermind

Good machine my friend, I come from Scirocco R and was one shuffled for my decision to buy 

 

Mastermind

I want that 

vw-scirocco.jpg

 

but changing pieces and reprogramed low , VW not so good...all plastic and nothing mecanics maestry. I wait you have not same problems that me, today are 100K Milles alives at maximum without errors (35kE...) 

Mastermind

Here and in my case too, all of them (cuasi), cheating...

 

Bussiness no? Let go to where? Marbella for example...let go to the Goverment too?...let go to denunciate bad practices to VW?...to an well know inspector of quality system?...let's go to adivine the true before my car reviews?...camon!! I'm waITING FOR FUNNY TIME WITH ME THIEFS

Mastermind

I only can tell you for now  that was defined as Diesel under paper and it's Petrol as initie after a year...

Mastermind

It must be that there is a mafia or something behind that car or something, that you don't see the problems that I have and have had with that ***** car, see you and good weekend, check and test things with only Official Service as you know under warranty 

Mastermind

A good friend as worker left VW for other bussiness for do not use bad practices as others do ... in VW, all an example of System Quealities Magnagementes ... he was ill and all ... *****

First Poster

I'm not really sure what you are saying.  From within the Hondas infotainment system there is a section for Android Auto permissions.  On this screen it shows my S10e and it's set to "Enable".  The other two options are disable and delete.  

 

When I connect my phone to the car via USB, it will open Android Auto if I select any of the following ( USB Tethering, MIDI, or Tranfer Images).  However, if I select (Transfer Files or Charge Only) it will not launch Android Auto.

 

That's what I really dont understand.   In the developer options I have the option to select any of those 5 options as the default connect type.  It maintains the default connection type in the developer options.  Meaning if I reboot my phone and look at the developer options it correctly shows whatever connection style I last see selected.   Unfortunately when I connect my phone to the car, android auto starts on the phone but not the car.  A notification pops up on the notification bar telling me to select my USB connection method.  Shouldn't it know to use whatever I have set to default?  

 

I feel like I've looked through every setting dozens of times but still cant figure it out.  I've not found an S10/Civic specific video on YouTube but there are other YouTube videos for the Civics Android Auto connect instructions that clearly show the phone being plugged into the car and AA immediately starting with no additional user input.

First Poster
I wanted to give an update on this problem. The issue is now fixed and I must admit I'm even embarrassed to mention it here. But for the sake of anyone else that runs into this problem I don't want them to struggle with the solution like I did.

The solution is simply to use the OEM charge cable that came with the phone. Despite reading in the instructions to use the factory cable, I blew it off thinking that he Anker cable I had in my truck was perfectly fine. It's been excellent in all other aspects of usage up to this point.

I've really wracked my brain to determine the cause and after realizing the only part of the instructions I didn't follow was the use of the OEM cable I gave it a shot. Bottom line is that using the OEM cable fixed the problem perfectly.

Lesson learned. I still don't understand how it can make a difference but obviously there is something identifiable about that cable that the phone sees.

SMH.......
Top Liked Authors