Support

Open search

GPS loss when using 5G - Note 10+ 5G

Highlighted
Apprentice

I have noticed that the GPS drops out a lot when using Google maps (satnav).

Driving from London to Shrewsbury and back again, it happened on a regular basis. I had the S8 before for 3 years and it hardley ever lost GPS only in very remote areas, but the Note 10+ seems to lose it ever few miles and when i got back into London it was constant. 

I didn't pay too miuch mind thinking that it was just poor area signal but whilst browsing on Instagram, I saw another person had the same issue. We had a chat and it seems she had taken it back to a Samsung and with lots of back and forth, a work around was to to disable 5G and just use 3g/4g which seems to do the trick. 

Any one experienced this? 

I hope this is not a hardware issue!!!! 

9 REPLIES 9
Maestro

Hello @Oceans8, how are you today?

It could be, interference problems?, Inhibitors by special event?, faulties in the Sat?, only a specific day or always?

Please check next option from Samsung:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001575/

Also be sure that power save mode is OFF.

Try to improve the accuracy of your phone GPS by switching on the High Accuracy mode. You can find this option by going to Settings > Locations > Location Method > find High Accuracy Mode and turn it on.

I have not idea about thoses problems. Let here feedback for Moderatos od the Community 

See you!!

Apprentice

all settings are to the highest performance - I only use the gps when driving which isn't often. So haven't fully tested it. The link to 5G was suggested amnd tested by another user. 

I realised i've posted this in the wrong group so will delete and repost in the correct place. 

Observer

Hey, 

Yes I have this problem, I find it frustrating that we are upgrading to one of the best phones on the market and yet we cant use GPS. 

Samsung has had me trying multiple things and talking to the walk-in centres. 

I told them on the phone that I was disappointed as a consumer as Samsung is not taking ownership of the problem.  

At the repair centre, they said they had recieved and email from Samsung stating it is a common problem. However, the phone helpline guys have no idea about it.

Anyway, yes I saw the Instagram post too and the trick works but we shouldn't have to turn off 5G just to be able to have GPS on a flagship Samsung device. 

Observer
Samsung on the phone advised the opposite, and it doesn't work either way around.
Only way to get the gps working is without the 5G for now
Maestro

Could be not enought power for GPS using 5G (spend more power for to use the signal) or could be that you change between 4G and 5G and lost GPS too. Let Samsung to do after to read all the thread info. We continue with feedback as news and info for all. 

Do not worry, I suppose the favulous Samsung Team will fix in a shortly firmware upgrade

During this time then it will be better to use 4G, it is confirmed by all that it works correctly then.

A question, I'm Spanish, have you 5G available there in yours countries?, here, we will need close to 10 month for it 

First Poster
This is an existing issue with all Note 10 5G variants.

I have discussed this at length with Samsung and sent in videos etc. I reported this on day of release as I live on the edge of a 5G area and was having the issue all the time.

They have come back with news that the 5G signal is used on a separate chip to the 3G and 4G and therefore when the device switches over to the 5G chip it doesn't handover the location service correctly.

They have stated it needs to be fixed in a firmware update but didn't give any time frame for release! Having reported on day of release I'm a bit unsatisfied that it's quickly approaching 2 months and there's been no fix for this!!

I have even received updates since then and the fix has not been implemented. Come on Samsung! This is such a ridiculously expensive product that has such a major flaw and you are not pulling your weight with fixing it.
Maestro

Good info @windowsdan  not verified for me at the moment, but could be valid, a prescan before to change the network and use other accurate system settings.

We was speaking about firmware update neccesary, it is logic and not at all as you advised us, thanks for all, and have you anice time with my desire phone but I can understand we will need a few firms update to roll the phone well as we can know 

Thanks again for all @windowsdan 

Apprentice

Agreed.  It's definitely poor and they should confirm this issue. 

I also think this links strongly that the battery life is also poor when 5g is on. 

At first I though it was due to the spotty 5g availability but it should switch to 4g/3g so it shouldn't impact heavily on the battery.. But if the GPS is constantly dropping, the phone and any apps using will be constantly trying to find it again and hence draining battery. 

First Poster

THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN FIXED!!

See the latest update of:

ASJ2 with October patch

You will find it now works fine when switching for 5G to 4G and vice versa.

😁👍🏻

Top Liked Authors