Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Find my mobile and two-step verification

(Topic created on: 19-12-2019 08:30 AM)
TomazDrnovsek
Explorer
Options

Let's say your phone is stolen. You have two-step verification turned on which sends you SMS to your phone. To sign in into Find my device you need to sign in to Samsung account. How do you do that since the phone was stolen?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
AntS
Options

Hi guys,

When you enable and initially verify 2-step verification for your Samsung account it gives you the option to download/print backup codes:

Screenshot 01Screenshot 01Screenshot 02Screenshot 02

View solution in context

21 REPLIES 21
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@TomazDrnovsek wrote:

Let's say your phone is stolen. You have two-step verification turned on which sends you SMS to your phone. To sign in into Find my device you need to sign in to Samsung account. How do you do that since the phone was stolen?

You use any other device or internet browser.

0 Likes
TomazDrnovsek
Explorer
Options

What do you mean? Since I don't have my phone anymore I do use Internet browser to access http://findmymobile.samsung.com/. But to log in to the Find my mobile site you need to log in to the Samsung account. To log in to the Samsung account you need the verification code sent to your device... which you don't have anymore.

IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@TomazDrnovsek wrote:

What do you mean? Since I don't have my phone anymore I do use Internet browser to access http://findmymobile.samsung.com/. But to log in to the Find my mobile site you need to log in to the Samsung account. To log in to the Samsung account you need the verification code sent to your device... which you don't have anymore.

Okay, so it would seem that you didn't log into your Samsung account on your phone in the first place. Then the FindMy Mobile won't work. The verification code is part of the initialization process for this service, which you never completed.

0 Likes
TomazDrnovsek
Explorer
Options

I don't think we're on the same page.

I am logged into the Samsung account on my phone. I am not logged into Samsung account on my computer though and when I want to log in to Find my device on the computer (since I don't have my phone anymore) I get the two-step verification thing since I have two-step verification turned on for every login into Samsung account anywhere - mobile or PC.

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@TomazDrnovsek wrote:

I don't think we're on the same page.

I am logged into the Samsung account on my phone. I am not logged into Samsung account on my computer though and when I want to log in to Find my device on the computer (since I don't have my phone anymore) I get the two-step verification thing since I have two-step verification turned on for every login into Samsung account anywhere - mobile or PC.

Well, then it seems you'll have to get another mobile device to get the SMS.

0 Likes
TomazDrnovsek
Explorer
Options

Well, the SIM card was also stolen and you need your SIM card to receive an SMS.

If the phone is stolen one needs to use "Find my device" as soon as possible, the time is critical! We're talking minutes, maybe hours. To get a new SIM card from the carrier can take days. Your phone will be long gone by then.

So... if you have two-step verification turned on for Samsung account login and your phone is stolen then you're basically screwed? It's hard for me to comprehend such a major flaw in the system. I must be missing something here...

IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@TomazDrnovsek wrote:

Well, the SIM card was also stolen and you need your SIM card to receive an SMS.

If the phone is stolen one needs to use "Find my device" as soon as possible, the time is critical! We're talking minutes, maybe hours. To get a new SIM card from the carrier can take days. Your phone will be long gone by then.

So... if you have two-step verification turned on for Samsung account login and your phone is stolen then you're basically screwed? It's hard for me to comprehend such a major flaw in the system. I must be missing something here...

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Mobile-Apps-Services/2FA-find-my-mobile/m-p/1321487

@Connorcaunt1 : did you find a workaround in the meantime ?

0 Likes
TomazDrnovsek
Explorer
Options

Since nobody answered his topic from almost 3 months ago I would assume this actually is how things are. I'm shocked.

IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@TomazDrnovsek wrote:

Since nobody answered his topic from almost 3 months ago I would assume this actually is how things are. I'm shocked.

Okay, then let's ask the experts.

@CarlH @AntS : could you confirm this ?