Support

Open search

aptx HD support for Galaxy Note 9

Explorer

@samsicles whose font are you asking about?  I'm just using the standard font on my phone.

With regards to your other question what headphones are you using?  LDAC is Sony's own codec so if they're not Sony headphones or aren't compatible with LDAC you wont be able to select it.

Edit:  I misread the fact that you'd already said what headphones they were.  Sony's website says they support LDAC so I'm not sure why they're not connecting using that codec.  As far as I'm led to believe the phone and headphones should sort out which codec to use during the bluetooth handshake. 

Pathfinder

If you're asking about the font in my screenshot, it's called Harmonica sans condensed and is free in the Galaxy store.

Apprentice

@SithLord wrote:

If you're asking about the font in my screenshot, it's called Harmonica sans condensed and is free in the Galaxy store.

thank you, will check it out.

Apprentice

@Typhoon1944 wrote:

@samsicles whose font are you asking about?  I'm just using the standard font on my phone.

With regards to your other question what headphones are you using?  LDAC is Sony's own codec so if they're not Sony headphones or aren't compatible with LDAC you wont be able to select it.

Edit:  I misread the fact that you'd already said what headphones they were.  Sony's website says they support LDAC so I'm not sure why they're not connecting using that codec.  As far as I'm led to believe the phone and headphones should sort out which codec to use during the bluetooth handshake. 

No problem - they very rarely sync with LDAC, and as you say both devices support it. I do have a Galaxy Watch connected too and wonder if it's a bandwidth issue that leads it to use aptX...

How do you like the PX headphones by the way, besides the codec issue. Thinking about switching the XM3s for them, mainly for style purposes but have heard they're not too comfy.

Explorer

I like them.  It's the first set of expensive headphones I've ever bought so I dont really have anything to compare them against.  I wear them all day when I'm at work and some evenings if my other half is watching something I'm not interested in & I've never had any comfort issues.  I got them because of the review and the best wireless headphones award on the WhatHiFi? website but it was a choice between these and the XM2s.  They said the noise cancelling was slightly better on the Sonys but the B&Ws had a more natural sound.  I dont really use the noise cancelling as the earpieces drown out most noise without it so the more natural sound suited me.  I just hope Samsung release the aptx HD codec soon so I can enjoy them properly without having to use the cable all the time.  I dont mind in the house but it's an inconvenience outside or in work.

Apprentice

@Typhoon1944 wrote:

I like them.  It's the first set of expensive headphones I've ever bought so I dont really have anything to compare them against.  I wear them all day when I'm at work and some evenings if my other half is watching something I'm not interested in & I've never had any comfort issues.  I got them because of the review and the best wireless headphones award on the WhatHiFi? website but it was a choice between these and the XM2s.  They said the noise cancelling was slightly better on the Sonys but the B&Ws had a more natural sound.  I dont really use the noise cancelling as the earpieces drown out most noise without it so the more natural sound suited me.  I just hope Samsung release the aptx HD codec soon so I can enjoy them properly without having to use the cable all the time.  I dont mind in the house but it's an inconvenience outside or in work.

Thank you for this mini-review, really helpful. I do find the XM3s a bit bass heavy and would prefer a more flat and natural sound. One other issue with the XM3s (besides not dfaulting to the the LDAC codec) is that when you adjust the EQ in the Sony app they only work with the SBC codec rather than the regular AptX. To be honest I'm not sure I can percieve difference — they still sound really good.

Hope too Samsung release the aptX HD and makeit so LDAC defualts when available. I think I'll try the PX somewhere I can return and then evaluate which is the best for me.

AntS Moderator

Hi guys.

Our developer has got back to us on this one today. It would appear aptX HD isn't quite as "robust" as they'd like, as it needs to send a lot of packets to the Bluetooth device - which could cause audio chopping whilst streaming stuff.

Their plan is use aptX Adaptive instead, a Qualcomm codec which combines support for high quality along with the required  "robustness" - although they'll consider supporting aptX HD too if it proves to be able to cope with the required demands.

Prince_Community_Sig03.jpg

Say "Hello!" to the Community in The Introduce Yourself Thread.

Explorer

@AntS  Thanks for your update and is there any timescale for when this is being rolled out?  Hopefully not when Pie is made available as that's not due until next year and then it depends how long O2 take to sign off on it.  

However, can the developer not just provide both codecs anyway and let the customer decide what to use?  As I said in a previous post above, from what I can gather from the investigations I have carried out on this problem, the headphones and handset would decide between themselves which codec to use during the bluetooth pairing handshake.  As my PXs default to aptX but are happy for me to manually switch to SBC, I'd be happy for them to default to aptX HD and then manually drop it to aptX if audio chopping is apparent.  Considering all of the BT codecs are in "Developer Options" surely if Samsung are worried about someone using aptx HD and complaining about sound quality they can just advise that Developer Options offer the user more options for functionality but Samsung can't be held responsible for user experience or sound quality.  I'm sure their legal team could come up with a better statement but you get the idea.  Other manufacturers have embraced aptX HD and I haven't seen any customers complaining online that it's not "robust" enough or the sound quality is poor.  Although I welcome Samsung's willingness to listen to their customers' feedback I am now concerned that they are implementing a further codec that's still not going to be compatible with my headphones.  I have asked Bowers and Wilkins if they can tell me whether the headphones are compatible with the aptX Adaptive codec and hopefully they'll either say yes or at least make it available in one of their regular firmware updates but I still think the easiest way to make everyone happy is to just give us aptx HD as well.

Explorer

Update:  Had a reply from B&W and the PXs aren't compatible with aptX Adaptive.

Highlighted
Apprentice

About aptX Adaptive

"Backwards compatible with aptX and aptX HD enabled devices"

https://www.aptx.com/aptx

Top Liked Authors