Support

Open search

Why is DEX not being made wireless?

Highlighted
Apprentice

This works really really well. I was using it back on the Huawei mate 20 Pro for the pat several months. I'd rather use it with the Samsung devices. I can't imagine why it's taken this long. Seems like a firmware update to utilize dlna/screen casting tech would make this happen.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Thinking it's a cash grab tbh. They must want the hardware sales. But it only makes the phones like the p30 pro look more attractive.
Highlighted
Apprentice

Actually, I doubt it. You can buy a cheap Type-C- to-HDMI cable for $5 and it will work well for DeX. And Samsung knows about this.
I guess, the reason is Android Q. Looks like, it will have a native desktop mode. So why to bother in this case?

Highlighted
Apprentice

Are you asking why bother with wireless when you can do it wired?

Highlighted
Apprentice

No. I mean, why to bother with improving DeX, when native Android desktop mode eventually replace it. If Android Q really has this feature, DeX has no chances, IMHO.
Just to add. It does not mean that Samsung should do nothing. They have to make switch from DeX to Android desktop mode as much seamless as possible. It's not that easy.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Interesting rumours are running on the web now about DeX Live
So, looks like, it's finally coming.
Highlighted
First Poster

Obviously, the next logical step in the development of this technology will be the creation of a fully wireless mode DeX Mode. Samsung has confirmed that the company is actually already working on it.

Highlighted
First Poster

Hi, I was wondering if there is any update on the capability to cast Dex instead of having to plug in the HDMI cable?  I have made the business case (w/white paper) and already replaced our windows computers with the Note 9 with almost no capability loss thanks to the Remote Desktop app and Azure Virtual Machines. We do not see an issues plugging into the docking station because the phone needs to be charged anyway and we need to have wireless keyboard and mouse. The only issue arises when we want to cast to our large conference room tv.  At that point we use an hdmi cable whereas before we were able to cast from a windows laptop. 

One other minor suggestion: having the ability to have a bookmarks bar in Chrome browser when using DEX. Currently, you are still required to navigate through the menu in order to retrieve bookmarks. This is one difference from the desktop version experience. 

Highlighted

When this wireless Dex will be available?

May need to solve laggy issue.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Wait for Note 10 official announcement.
Top Liked Authors