Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning on buying a note 9 and moving out

(Topic created on: 08-12-2018 02:32 PM)
jaf1
Apprentice
Options

Hello ,

so basically i've been thinking about buying a note 9 and as i currently live in the middle east (i live in Iraq for now) i went to the store and while fiddling around with the box i read it says middle eastern sim cards only or something and

the thing is in about a month i'm traveling around a few countries and then moving to Canada so I'm assuming it won't work there.

I heard it was to avoid grey market sales and whatnot so do i have to contact samsung if i move out with it or am i locked to only using it in Iraq if i ever buy it?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
Kondek85
Pathfinder
Options
The phone can be unlocked by Samsung service you just need to get in touch with them and tell about it. There is a procedure for that just can't remember how it was but I think it was that after the phone is unlocked you have to put a new SIM inside and make a phone call. Or something like that. But don't worry, you'll be able to use your phone in Canada. People travel around the world so it would be quite ankward if they would have to get a spare phone for a week holiday on different continent :winking-face:
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @jaf1

Samsung region lock the phone to stop grey imports. 

Usually a person can remove this by using a local sim card in that country in the phone and make at least 3 calls each over 5 minutes duration. 

The phone will have the Bands and frequencies to be able to support most networks around the world. 

Hope that helps. 

The other consideration is the 24 Month manufacturing warranty as some are region dependent so do check the Small Print as a person may not get support for a phone not meant for use in another country long term. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

jaf1
Apprentice
Options

Can you explain the last part a little bit more please?

also if i happen to factory reset my phone after moving out does it become locked again?

sorry i havn't been up to date with phone tech and the last phone i used was an s3 from launch until last year lol

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Once the region lock has been removed the phone will stay that way. 

A Factory Reset only takes a phone back to the last successful firmware update. 

In regards to the 24 Month Manufacturing Warranty. 

I've seen instances where a person has purchased a phone from a particular country because it's cheaper to do so and then take it home to use in their own country. 

But then if an issue arises that needs Samsung Support and under the umbrella of the manufacturing warranty remit they can refuse support due to the country it's been used in. 

i.e

samsung.com/uk/support/warranty.

"European

Consumers who are using a product in a country in the European Economic Area and Switzerland (“Europe”) which was first purchased in another country in Europe can obtain warranty services. The period of the warranty and the warranty service provided will be those of the country in Europe where the warranty claim is made."

So it's best to double check if your buying a Samsung phone in one country to use in another country that your warranty is valid in your home country. 

jaf1
Apprentice
Options

the canadian and iraqi (levant) warranties are really similar both being 12 months and don't mention the services being area exclusive so i'm assuming i'm good? 

also stores never mention the warranty here in iraq for some reason do they give you a piece of paper to sign or something or do you fill it from the samsung website or what?

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

A person is typically given a receipt for their purchase in a store in the UK as proof of purchase. 

The 24 Month Manufacturing Warranty Terms and Conditions are available then online to refer ba k to if support is ever needed. 

Kondek85
Pathfinder
Options

As far as I know they can only refuse fixing the phone/watch when it comes from a different country and it's different model. They did that with my Gear S2 which I bought from USA (unintentionally - I bought it in UK online store and I wasn't aware that they come from USA) and they refused to fix it cause US version may have made with different parts. 

0 Likes