Support

Open search

Notify During Call not working properly

First Poster

@Kondek85 wrote:

So I've made some test using my girlfriends phone to call myself and indeed there is a strange issue (?) with this.

It looks like Notify During Calls option follows the actual sound profile on the phone.

When I turned on the SOUND profile with vibration enabled during the ring it did beep when I received an SMS Message during the call.

After that I changed to profile to VIBRATE and it did vibrate after receiving SMS Message but there was no beep.

At the end I went to MUTE. And guess what? There was no notification at all, no beep, no vibration.

So when we have ringtone sound turned on we will hear the beep but when we turn off the sound and stay with vibration only it will vibrate to notify, on mute it will do nothing.

Would be nice if vibration would join the beep in the sound mode - sometimes you have to keep the phone away from the ear for a moment or smth and you won't be notified if it won't vibrate.

So I think we know what's wrong.

The question is - is it a bug or developers wanted to keep this way?

Hi Kondek85, 

I appreciate you testing this out  

With regards to your comment, my guess is that is how it's supposed to work. That's to say there is a beep with no vibration or a vibration and no beep according to what sound profile you're on. However  I may be wrong and it may well be a bug 

I noticed you used SMS message to test the Notify During Call functionality. This appears to work  Can you please try sending WhatsApp or Messenger messages and see if you get a beep during the phone call then?

I look forward to your findings 

Navigator

Just checked, nothing, no vibration, no beep, I checked all sound profiles and both WhatsApp and FB Messenger. 

Did you check the app permissions for sound etc? I went to see how it looks and in my case they're off by default. Maybe try to turn them on? The most important for messages seems to be on but who knows. I think I've just run out of ideas.

So imo it is a big or they made it working only for the stock messaging app.Screenshot_20180922-214155_Settings.jpg

First Poster

@Kondek85 wrote:

Just checked, nothing, no vibration, no beep, I checked all sound profiles and both WhatsApp and FB Messenger. 

Did you check the app permissions for sound etc? I went to see how it looks and in my case they're off by default. Maybe try to turn them on? The most important for messages seems to be on but who knows. I think I've just run out of ideas.

So imo it is a big or they made it working only for the stock messaging app.Screenshot_20180922-214155_Settings.jpg

Thanks for checking that and testing it out  

I have checked the sound permissions for both WhatsApp and Messenger and they were all turned on  

I highly doubt that the Notify During Call functionality is only supposed to work for the Messaging app,after all the whole point is for it to work for every app. IMO it's definitely a bug with the phone app and it requires a software update to fix  

Navigator

I'll do it reverse and will check if it works on my girlfriends S9+, just give me a second

Edit:

Same on S9+, no vibration or beep when getting a message on WhatsApp and Messenger, checked all sound profiles.

So, we have a bug on both phones or it's limited only to messages through default app.

Someone from Samsung should tell us more.

First Poster

Well that's even more strange that it's not working on the S9+. I wonder why noone has encountered this problem until now. I rely on the Notify During Call functionality since I get a lot of phone calls yet I want to be alerted when I receive notifications.

I find it hard to believe that this functionaity is only designed to work for the stock messaging app. On all my previous Android phones  it has worked for all 3rd party apps and this should be the case here.

As AntS suggested above, you should also submit an error report using the Samsung Members app. And someone from Samsung needs to provide us with updates on the progress of the error report.

I am having the same issue. I have a Note9! It is terribly frustrating as I constantly miss important work texts while on a call.

Highlighted

I was having the same issue on an Samsung A7 2018. During a call, I could hear only text messaging notification and nothing else (not WhatsApp nor e-mail notifications. I figured out that the the problem was the Samsung native Phone App which came installed on the phone.

My solution was to simply download Another Phone app (Drupe) and now I hear all text messages, WhatsApp messages and e-mail messages during a call.

I hope it helped.

Top Liked Authors