Support

Open search

Note 9 charging issues

First Poster

Hi my note 9 is only 7 weeks old and over the past two weeks I have been having problems with charging it. It started with the water detector going off randomly over the course of the first week baring in mind my phone has never been in contact with water! Over time it's gotten worse where 80% of the time it wont charge at all when I plug in the charger and when it does it will only slow charge. If I try and charge the phone when its off it just shows the white charging symbol and then it goes off and when I switch the phone back on the water detector goes off again. I've tried my friends charger, still the same and I've even done a factory reset which was no help. Any advice or should I just take it back to EE or Samsung?

7 REPLIES
Superuser I
Superuser I

Are you able to try it on a wireless charger @Ash19 which should help to determine if it's the phone charger point at issue if it then charges Ok as I've seen you've used an alternative charger. 

Also by using a torch take a peek inside the charger port to see if any lint etc has built up which needs removing as this can hinder charging.

As EE supplied the phone its them that you would need to approach normally. 

However in my Experience Samsung would also be able to help via one of their Samsung Experience Stores or Samsung Service Centres under the 24 month manufacturing warranty unless it shows signs of being dropped or the water indicators have been tripped. 

The warning your seeing over water isn't always connected to dropping the phone in water or getting caught in the rain. 

It can be from sudden temperature change from the phone being in a pocket , case or direct sunlight etc. 

Usually that goes away in approximately 20-30 minutes. 

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

First Poster

Thank you for the reply. I did as suggested and used my friends wireless charger and it charges perfectly I then tried my phone charger again and nothing doesn't even pick up a charge so I then plugged in my friends phone and straight away fast charges. Seems to me like its definitly the port I've cleaned it twice and still nothing. The water detector doesn't appear unless I try and charge it switched off it's just weird.

CarlH Moderator

Hi @Ash19. As @BandOfBrothers mentioned, it might be worth taking your phone to a local Service Centre for an engineer to inspect. This link will direct you to the closest in your area. Hope this helps.

Superuser I
Superuser I

You're very welcome and thank you for trying my suggestions @Ash19

So your options are to just use a wireless charger or take the phone to a Samsung Service Centre as I mentioned in my first reply. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

I am having the exact same problem. Does not charge, the white symbol came on for a few seconds then dissapears,

Took it to Samsung they say its fluid, I have never immersed it in water, nor have i been to the beach. Apparently the phone can be dropped in 1.5 m of fresh water, so I think there is definately a problem with the phone.

It charges on a wireless though.

The tech at Samsung said he cant see any acid build up and the phone is clean. I have to get a warranty invoice from my network before i can take it in again. 

First Poster

@Ash19 wrote:

Hi my note 9 is only 7 weeks old and over the past two weeks I have been having problems with charging it. It started with the water detector going off randomly over the course of the first week baring in mind my phone has never been in contact with water! Over time it's gotten worse where 80% of the time it wont charge at all when I plug in the charger and when it does it will only slow charge. If I try and charge the phone when its off it just shows the white charging symbol and then it goes off and when I switch the phone back on the water detector goes off again. I've tried my friends charger, still the same and I've even done a factory reset which was no help. Any advice or should I just take it back to EE or Samsung?

However in my Experience Samsung would also be able to help via one of their Samsung Experience Stores or Samsung Service Centres under the 24 month manufacturing warranty unless it shows signs of being dropped or the water indicators have been tripped. 

Tried all but one, (different charger, clearing cache, factory reset, and even waiting for a while before connecting the charger again) and it has now been 2 weeks and I've resorted to going back to my J5 Prime. The phone has now switched off due to power in the battery and when connecting the charger it just displays a circle with a bolt in it. When I power on whatever is left in the battery, it complains about moist. The only thing I'm left to try is the cordless charger. I just think what's the point of buying a phone with a charger if you still have to buy another charger and be restricted to that. If I'm paying a certain amount of money for a flagship device, then I should be able to use whatever charger i want. I hope when I take this phone back i get a new device cos this one is under 7 weeks old

Top Liked Authors