Support

Open search

Note 9 - Reverting back to android 8.1

SOLVED
First Poster

I just updated to Android Pie 9 on my unlocked Note 9.  I dont like it and want to go back to Oreo 8.1 what I have previously on my note 9 how do I do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Superuser I
Superuser I

May I ask what you do not like about it @LW77  ?

You can't rollback via the settings in your Samsung Note 9.

You'll need to look at sites such as xdadevelopers and Google Search what process you need to go down to revert it back.

Be very careful if you decide to proceed and learn about the pros and cons on what can happen.

A person performing this does so solely at their own informed risk.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

11 REPLIES 11
Superuser I
Superuser I

May I ask what you do not like about it @LW77  ?

You can't rollback via the settings in your Samsung Note 9.

You'll need to look at sites such as xdadevelopers and Google Search what process you need to go down to revert it back.

Be very careful if you decide to proceed and learn about the pros and cons on what can happen.

A person performing this does so solely at their own informed risk.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

First Poster

Battery drain worse battery and my contacts names I cant hardly see as the txt of contact names are white like the background I have tried themes but it's not changing the txt colour.  Also o  multi tasking app there no list view which I use a lot and prefer on page tabs all in all I'm disappointed with the update its spoil my note 9 experience which previously I enjoyed also I have notice that I have move an app into a app folder  and it doesnt stay In after using the app a couple.of time it automatically jumps back out of the folder and back onto the apps drawer

Apprentice

I have found a lot more issues with it. Really want to go back to 8.1.

You cannot get it to display messages on the lock screen, only icons

There are massive areas of the screen taken up with nothing, e.g. messages where 50% of the screen is wasted and it only shows 5 messages.

Phone which keeps asking me to share my info with a pop up that I cannot get rid of

I really hate android 9. Am thinking of returning it for repair as its unusable in some respects.

Explorer

@Andys42 you CAN get you notification on the lockscreen. Go to setting, lockscreen, tap notifications, style and choose "detailed". 

Messages: when swiping up the white space disappeares and shows a lot more messages.

Explorer

@LW77 , White background in contacts...tried the night mode? Or use the standard Google contacts app from the play store if you only want contacts in dark mode. 

One app in a folder: add a second app to that folder and it won't "jump back". 

Highlighted
Apprentice

Brilliant, thank you.

There are a few other things I do not like, but this was one of the key ones. Why do they have to change things that work?

Andy

Apprentice

Its not the white background that is the problem is the bit at the top that says "Messages" taking up 40% of the screen and the bit at the bottom; only leaving space for 5 messages. Why does it have that stupid great big blank area on the screen? Its not just with contacts either you get it with text messages too.

My other issue is with the way you answer calls. No idea why they changed this but I now have difficulty answering calls as the swipe action does not work, you have to press quite hard to answer a call which you can no longer do with a flick of a finger when the phone is on wireless charging, without sending the phone flying.

Voyager

I absolutly agree!! I'm with T-mobile, have been stuggling with buying a new phone for a year. My old Note 4 was wonderful. I was just beginning to love the Note 9.

Ive had the Note 9 for almost a month, today it updated to piece of PIE. I called T-mobile and asked if they would help get it back, she said no that it was Samsung who issues the updates,,, they said they would(in broken Engrish) get me over to Samsung tech support.  

I got transfered over to Samsung. The lady asked what she could do to help, I gave her the story and she said "sorry, thats just the way it goes"  I was shocked!  I said; "if this is the way this phone had been when I tried it out in the T-Mobile store, I wouold have NEVER have gotten it". She was quiet, then she said; "Is there anything I can help you with?"  REALLY?!?!?!

Apprentice

Agree this is a bad state. At least with Windows you can install an old version. If something does not work, you should be able to easily revert back.

Actually the biggest issue I have with Android 9 is that they have cut the times for the screen being on AGAIN. It was bad enough when the longest time was 30 minutes (with android 4 you had 4 hours, 8 hours and never). With A9 its 10 minutes!!

If I am running many apps, including CCTV monitoring, health programs etc, the screen keeps going off and I can do nothing to make it stay on for hours as I want. Anyone any ideas how to override the screen timeout on Android 9 your help would be greatly appreciated?

Top Liked Authors