Support

Open search

Heartbroke over Note 9 Pie up-downgrade

Voyager

I've been a long time customer of Samsung. I have had their appliances; Washers, driers, dishwashers, refrigerators, and phones.  Up to now it has been fine, now I feel like I have been betrayed. I traded in my Note 4 after I went to the stroe and worked with the new Note 9. Within a month the phone upgraded UI to Pie and now it's a piece of Pie. I purchased the phone based on what I saw, felt and how it interacted with me at the store, after the so-called upgrade it feels like a Fisher-Price toy and no longer like the business tool I bought.  I can understand a security patch or so, but to completely alter the whole phone? Really?!?!? 

Samsung please rollback your Pie to Oreo. I loved the little Note4, and was warming to the Note 9, and now it is getting returned. I'll be looking at some other device, I wish I did not have to. I sure seems like these words fall on deaf corporate ears. 

6 REPLIES 6
Superuser I
Superuser I

The Community Team here read all posts and help where they can @Maxozone 

Some features I liked sndnusednin Oreo has been removed in Pie to which I've used the Samsung Members App  / Samsung + App to send back feedback direct to the relevant Samsung Department.

I took me a little while to adjust to the icons myself.

There are icon packs in the Samsung Theme Store if a person wants to change how the icons look. I think there are Oreo Icon  Packs too.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Pathfinder

I hated it also when I downloaded it.  But every update that I've gone through since Lollipop to Kitkat has been the same thing.  New features, new buttons, new icons.  After a few days, some time spent going through all the settings, and playing with each setting, I LOVE it now.  

Don't like the Icons?  Download an icon pack.

Don't like the desktop?  Download a launcher. (I suggest Nova - Very nice)

The cosmetics are nothing to fret and worry about.  So the clock got moved from the right side to the left side.  Big deal.  How much time and energy does it take to flick your eye and inch to the left?  After a day or so, you won't even remember that it used to be on the right.  My only complaint about the updates are features that at one time existed that people loved that are no longer available.  Things like Pro settings on the video camera.  Rumor is that this will be returning.  Hopefully.  Other things like the customizable text message tone assigned to the contact and not to the thread of the conversation.  

Go through the settings.  Exam and try out each one.  

I use Nova.  When the update came in, Nova took over and I had to LOOK deep to find the changes.  My desktop only changed a few Icons.  

We  now have features like instead of the navigation bar at the bottom taking up space, change it out to Gestures.  Recent apps are now laid out side by side instead of clustered together all on one screen.  Some hate it.  I love it.  I've got big hands and it's easier to hit the right card.  We now have a built in night mode.  Something that Oreo didn't have.  People have complained about white on white lettering on some windows.  Thats because they are using a theme that was designed for Oreo and not One UI.  Get another theme.  Experiment.  Exam.  Play with it.  

Voyager

Thank you for all of the helpful suggestions. One of the major problems I have is that I have to spend more money for additions to a product that I puchased. That I have to spend time out of my life to repair a product that I puchased. 

Do you drive? Do you adust your mirrors?  If you test drove a car, ordered one and when you picked it up from the dealer the mirrors were locked in place so you had to either replace them, or contort your body position in order to use the mirrors?  How would you feel about accepting the vehicle you paid good money for?

Pathfinder

@Maxozone wrote:

Thank you for all of the helpful suggestions. One of the major problems I have is that I have to spend more money for additions to a product that I puchased. That I have to spend time out of my life to repair a product that I puchased. 

Do you drive? Do you adust your mirrors?  If you test drove a car, ordered one and when you picked it up from the dealer the mirrors were locked in place so you had to either replace them, or contort your body position in order to use the mirrors?  How would you feel about accepting the vehicle you paid good money for?

Nova didn't cost that much.  A buck?  I don't remember.  I bought it back when the OS for Android was "Jellybean".  After the One UI update, I had a problem with Nova concerning notification Icons, something that they are working on to fix quickly, so I switched back to Samsung Experience for a week or so.  I set it up identical to Nova with the exception that the icons were a bit smaller.  With Nova, I expanded them to 120%.  I'm old.. LOL.  

Yes, I drive.  Yes, I adjust my mirrors.  I'm old enough that I've driven BIG trucks/cars/vehicles that have had the mirrors bolted in place.  This isn't anything compared to that.  Samsung is flexible.  Adjustable.  By Itself, out of the box, it's workable.  There are all sorts of adjustment there that are available to use.  I'm a gadget freak.  I experiment, I read the manual, I tweak stuff and learn from it.  

I'm not saying Samsung is perfect.  There are some features that were removed when they went to Oreo that I am still arguing with them about.  There are some features that were taken away with Oreo that are coming back according to rumor.   I had worse problems years ago when I used an iPhone.  I got an operating system update that turned my phone into a brick.  Totally.  They released 3 updates before I was able to call out again.  And then, it took 5 minutes to DIAL the phone.  When I contacted them, their answer was to buy a new phone.  I did.  Switched to a Note 4.  

All is not lost though. I think in the time that I've had an android, I've spent maybe 3 bucks on other apps.  This is the place to come to for answers to questions.  

Don't dispair.  Don't give up.  Samsung Note 9's are not perfect.  They will have bugs.  They will break.  But generally, they are a great phone.  

And as you've noticed, I have a tendency to get up on a soapbox.  My apoligies.  LOL

Voyager

Soap box is ok! Lol

I loved my note 4 and never had a hiccup. Right now I wish I still had it. Time will tell if samsung is responsive to the customers needs .Thanks again for your support  

Highlighted
Explorer

Quite a few things that Pie / One UI messed up or removed completely can now be fixed by using Samsung's new version of their Good Lock app

I cant be arsed to write a whole list but I recommend that people check out Thao Huynh's (she's Canadian) video on YouTube

Top Liked Authors