Support

Open search

Galaxy Note 9 Region lock

Explorer

Mine is a Nordic Note 9 and I had the note 8 also where an Indian sim and Nordic sim worked perfect. I have both official sims and have made the 5 min call so lets see if the Indian sim will now work. If not the phone is back to the supplier no more samsung dual phones for me.

Explorer
I think you should contact samsung Germany which has been suggested to some guy on an Italian samsung community as his phone was bought in Italy and was to be used in Italy and israel
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that 5 min call works, now my Indian sim is recognized and not asking for PUK anymore
First Poster

I've bought the Galaxy Note 9 from a New Zealand company, assuming the smartphone would be region unlocked for use in NZ. How can I get around the 5 minutes from SE Asia, when I don't have a SIM card from there?

Explorer

you need to use a NZ sim for 5 mins to unlock the phone or the company that sold you that should have unlocked it for you

Observer
My Samsung Note 8 purchased in Malaysia had the same problem. I tried to use it with a foreign card when i was overseas it didn't work. Now I am facing the same problem in Japan with a Unicom card, EVEN after i've made more than enough local calls before my Japan trip. Can somebody help? Thanks.
Observer

@Twistedlights wrote:

I bought my note 9 from India and traveled out of India the same day. I was informed by the dealer that the phone is region locked and need register the phone with Indian Telco SIM. Which I did, however, I could not call anyone for "5 min" duration (The details of region lock is in the documents which come in the box). 

Now I have to use India sim in the SIM1 slot and my international sim in the SIM2 slot. The moment I interchange the SIMs I get a warning sim changed restart phone. 

As I use both Indian SIM (Slot 1 ) and International SIM (Solt2) I am not facing any issues. All my defaults are set to SIM 2

I made an international roaming call using my Indian SIM for over 8min, however, the region lock remains.

I will swap the SIM when I return to India hope that will remove the region lock.

I have the exact same problem . Note 9 bought in India refusing foreign sim. This is after i have used the phone for over  2 months in india with an indian sim...

Highlighted
Explorer

My note 9 and s10 is bought in Europe and used in Europe. Work perfect with Indian sim now. Maybe the Indian released phones have a different lock and don't support all international sims

First Poster
Hi, I bought my n9 in Malaysia. Been using it in Bangladesh. Would it unlock if I take it to Malaysia or Indonesia and make the 5min call? Or do I have to take it to a service centre there?
Top Liked Authors