Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 10 Plus downloading goes to sleep in 20+ mins while downloading files when screen is locked

(Topic created on: 30-08-2019 11:43 AM)
Jay3510
Student
Options
FYI Only - I have been with samsung for 10 years, i have used Samsung Omnia HD, Note 3, Note 5, Note 10 Plus [now], most of family also has samsung devices as wel [i need to mention this as to let you know how we were treated to regarding this issue even being samsung faithful] Note 10 Plus downloading goes to sleep in 20+ mins while downloading files when screen is locked Hello this is the last thing you want from your newly purchased device yet i am facing a problem the samsung people here in india don't want to acknoledge despite thier engineer confirming it's ther, and even he wants to pass it as slow download rather than the downloading of the file going to sleep altogether. this is a difficult matter to explain and i'm doing beyond my best to explain it. Conditions to observe the issue -Problem repeats oon both wifi and mobile data [individually] - Keep a large enough file for download which you will know won't download within 30+ minutes on your internet connection. - The reason i am saying 30+ minutes is that i don't know when the phone puts the downloads to sleep exactly and to see a noticable difference and get a better understanding of the problem you will have to spend more than a minimum of 30 minutes. - global wifi_sleep_policy is set to 2 [ checked with ADB ] , this is a problem i am facing since day 1 of the purchase, what happens is that if i keep a large file for download and lock the phone screen, during the 30 mins it keeps downloading the file untill it just puts it to sleep, it might happen after 12,15 or 20 minutes i don't know for sure, but when i unlock the screen after 30mins or so the download has just progressed by a small amount instead of asubstantialamount or nearing completion as per the connection. Test - Home Wi-Fi - internet Speed 4Mbps, as per my connection i can download around 350MB Approximately in 10 minutes. Here i have kept, Asphalt 9 for download at 2.33pm it has just started and downloaded 1.70MB/1.78GB, i locked the phone screen immediately. Now after half an hour at 3.03pm i unlocked the screen and the game is just 89.88MB/1.78GB downloaded. Test - Mobile Internet - JIO LTE 9Mbps connection - Downloads around 700MB+ approx in 10 mins Here i have kept, Asphalt 9 for download at 9.34pm it has just started and downloaded 10.75MB/1.78GB, i locked the phone screen immediatately. Note 10 Plus downloading goes to sleep in 20+ mins while downloading files when screen is locked Hello this is the last thing you want from your newly purchased device yet i am facing a problem the samsung people here in india don't want to acknoledge despite thier engineer confirming it's ther, and even he wants to pass it as slow download rather than the downloading of the file going to sleep altogether. this is a difficult matter to explain and i'm doing beyond my best to explain it. Conditions to observe the issue -Problem repeats oon both wifi and mobile data [individually] - Keep a large enough file for download which you will know won't download within 30+ minutes on your internet connection. - The reason i am saying 30+ minutes is that i don't know when the phone puts the downloads to sleep exactly and to see a noticable difference and get a better understanding of the problem you will have to spend more than a minimum of 30 minutes. - global wifi_sleep_policy is set to 2 [ checked with ADB ] , this is a problem i am facing since day 1 of the purchase, what happens is that if i keep a large file for download and lock the phone screen, during the 30 mins it keeps downloading the file untill it just puts it to sleep, it might happen after 12,15 or 20 minutes i don't know for sure, but when i unlock the screen after 30mins or so the download has just progressed by a small amount instead of asubstantialamount or nearing completion as per the connection. Test - Home Wi-Fi - internet Speed 4Mbps, as per my connection i can download around 350MB Approximately in 10 minutes. Here i have kept, Asphalt 9 for download at 2.33pm it has just started and downloaded 1.70MB/1.78GB, i locked the phone screen immediately. Now after half an hour at 3.03pm i unlocked the screen and the game is just 89.88MB/1.78GB downloaded. Test - Mobile Internet - JIO LTE 9Mbps connection - Downloads around 700MB+ approx in 10 mins Here i have kept, Asphalt 9 for download at 9.34pm it has just started and downloaded 10.75MB/1.78GB, i locked the phone screen immediatately. Now at 10.03pm i unlocked the screen and the game is just 83.06MB/1.78GB downloaded. Test samsung service center - 50Mbps Wi-fi connection downloads 1.3GB in 10 minutes That is about 130+MB/minute. I did some tests there but due to no support from them and being tireds by this issue i wasen't able to properly doccument it. I started the download at 7.18pm it started and downloaded some 40MB/1.78GB, i locked the phone screen immediately. Now at 7.54pm i unlocked the screen and the game is just 473MB/1.78GB downloaded. When the samsung service center head called thier expert engineer he did the same tests and found the issue to be true, he wanted to check if it occurs while keeping the screen on so by setting the screen timeout to 10 minutes and touching the screen after 5 minutes or so we downloaded PUBG Mobile [2GB] within 16 minutes. He was still unsatisfied and didn't want to proceed to replacing the device, he and the service center head took a galaxy S8 and tested the downloading the same game while the screen was on and the game downloaded within 6 minutes, now they tried the screen lock test, and they unlocked the screen after 6 minutes to compare the progress at the same time, the game was 1.7GB done i insisted waiting for 20+ minutes to check if the download on S8 goes to sleep but he did not comply. Ihave personally check on my older Galaxy note 5 and motorola that the download remains active in the background while the screen is locked and does not randomly pause. I have checked with 2 other Note10 Plus owners on another forum that i am on and they are not facing any such issue, this is a hardware defect that samsung needs to acknowlege, here in india the salesperson from the samsung smart cafe where i bought the device said samsung is selling the phone as a zero problem phone, they trying to snub my replacemnet request for the device seems to be a ploy to keep their records clean, i am dessapointed how samsung handles the customers, they have called us to the service center again today, and if my issue is not solved i will take further action. Under edit wait
0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
Jay3510
Student
Options
Unable to document this article getting invalid html errors wow how samsung keeps you fromreporting important issues in a well documented manner.
0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi @Jay3510. In previous firmware versions there was an option to "Keep Wi-Fi On During Sleep", but this was removed for Pie/Android 9 (to help out with power consumption/battery life if I remember correctly :thinking-face:).

As it is, for larger downloads you'd need to keep the device awake. To save from needing to manually keep it awake you also should be able to keep it awake whilst it's on charge by enabling Developer options (Settings > About Phone > Software Information > tap 'Build Number' seven times) , then back to Settings (scroll to the bottom) > Developer options > toggling on 'Stay awake'. Unsure if you've tried that and seen better or the same results for your downloads.

We're based in the UK, so it might be a little different for you guys in India, but let us know.

0 Likes
Jay3510
Student
Options
For longer downloads i never had to keep the device awake till now, also my friend has a S10 plus, iphone, ipad on those devices background download works flawlessly, in the service center the background download worked flawlessly on the S8 of the staff.2-3 other Note 10 plus users reported their large files are being fully downloaded upon doing the above tests, that is why i came here to get the response from other note 10 plus users for the matter in the Original Post.
0 Likes