Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery drain when connected to 5G

(Topic created on: 03-11-2019 09:18 AM)
Pazman
Journeyman
Options

own the samsung note 10 plus 5g , it's a great phone and it has the best battery life of any phone I have ever owned .
I regularly have 50-60 % battery at the end of a day .
Untill this week I had only had the chance to try out 5g once.
I was working in Cardiff last month for only 4 hours or so but in this time I was able to run 5 speed tests in 5 different locations around cardiff .
Download speeds were good but not great, between 120 to 300 at best ,the down side to this was battery usage.
During speed tests I would lose 3%, but more concerning was the battery drain when the phone was in standby.
I lost 70% of battery life in the 4 hours of being in cardiff which did include 5 speed tests .
This was my first experience of 5g on my phone and I was not impressed .
This week i started a new job in a very small town which has full 5g coverage .
On Monday I started my new job and had forgotten all about 5g and the 5g experience in cardiff the month before , at around 10am having been in this 5g area for 2 hours I pulled out my phone to check the time and noticed the phone was very warm to the touch.
Then I remembered 5g , i check my battery percentage and was shocked to see I was on 70% already.
I never used the phone all day and my 5pm my phone was on 18% , this was just from standby.
The next day I disable 5g before getting to work and by 5pm this day I had 74% left .
I spoke to ee technical support and samsung technical support about this and they were both clueless saying the phone is working normally.
I did a factory reset and my FW is updated and it's still same .
As is Samsungs application of 5g in my note 10 plus is unusable .
If your thinking about buying into 5g I would recommend you think again .
The technology is clearly not ready yet .
If anyone else is having a better 5g experience then I can you let me know .

20 REPLIES 20
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I own the N10+ 5G bought directly from Samsung UK but in my neck of the woods 5G has only just been released so it's only available in a few key areas right now so I've not been able to try out 5G @Pazman 

I bought the 5G model as it wasn't that much more in cost than the standard version and I wanted to future proof my purchase i.e use 5G when it becomes more widely available or when selling it the 5G version may hold more away.

5G is still very much in its infancy and I have read other posts online where the battery can be drained quicker when using 5G.

I'm not sure wether it's the hardware , software or the networks infrastructure. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Pazman
Journeyman
Options
Hi

Yes i also read using 5g was taxing in the battery but I thought he would have been when actually downloading something.
In standby I would of expected the same low battery use as 4g standby , but that's not the case and as is its unusable .
I hope it can be fixed with software .
Even when fixed I've come to the conclusion 5g is pointless on mobiles , i did not notice any difference in loading web pages or social media apps so the only benefit is download large files fast which I dont do .
3 mobile are only using 5g for home broadband so far and I think that's the best purpose for 5g .
Officerstyles
Journeyman
Options
I just bought the T-Mobile 5G. Before I had 5G I had fantastic battery life now I have to charge my phone after around 8 hours of use. Comparef to not having ro charge it till oveenight before. Id hate to turn offmy 5G but if thats what it wi take to save my battery thwn i guess i have to. Samsung needs to do an update to fix this issue
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

My thoughts on this is that because there is not alot of 5G modules in place from the networks the phone is having to work harder to keep connected / look for 5G hence using more battery.

Just my unscientific opinion.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Officerstyles
Journeyman
Options

T-Mobile said thebattery is draining fast because the phone keeps connecting to different towers. (4G LTE to 5G)  

0 Likes
Pazman
Journeyman
Options

My battery drain is now fixed for 5G .

I spent my phone in for repair two weeks again.  

All they did was do a firmware flash on it .

So this new FW fix will hopefully get to you in Jan when the next big note 10 software update is released. 

All this nonsense about the phone  search for a 5g signal that EE tried to fob me off with was BS. 

Anyways rest assured a fix is coming for you .

I'm now connected to 5G all day at work and get home at the end of the day with 50% battery as I did on 4g .

4g reception on my note 10 is still ***** and the worst I've had on a phone ever .

But is my only gripe with this phone now .

0 Likes
Officerstyles1
Student
Options

I received an update for my note 10+5G today but it did not fix the battery drain issue 😞

0 Likes
Peter2010
First Poster
Options

Yes it is because the phone is looking for 5g constanly when it isn't available everywhere yet only from place to place. In 2020, when it is more widespread, it won't be an issue

0 Likes
Pazman
Journeyman
Options
Its nothing to do with the phone looking for a signal at all .
My work has a full 5g signal and still drained , now with the FW flash the problem is fixed .
0 Likes