Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Health distances all wrong

(Topic created on: 25-09-2019 04:35 PM)
sorethumbs
Student
Options

On my old Samsung S8 health app worked fine and accurately but on my A70 its displaying distances all wrong.

I've walked home today a distance of 1.4 miles and the health app is showing my steps as 2600ish which should roughly work out correctly based on about 1000 steps per half mile yet distance recorded is only 0.63 miles - less than half what it should be.

I've uninstalled and installed latest version, cleared my data and set it up from scratch again, location services are on and its still recording distance covered way too low.  If I set the 'Exercise' recording on where it tracks you on a map and finish my route it shows the correct distance covered but the steps menu still only shows 0.63.

No idea whats going on with it, does it think i'm 3ft tall and take tiny steps?

29 REPLIES 29
veskovatev
First Poster
Options
hello i have the same problem with the same phone
is there a solution?
Todi90
Journeyman
Options

Same phone, same app, same issue. I assume distances are calculated based on an estimation of your stride length, which itself is estimated based on your height. A quick fix would be inputting our own stride lengths (e.g: input one for running and another for walking), but the S Health app doesn't provide this feature. Aside from that if no fixes are provided in the near future, moving on to a better app seems to be the only solution as this bug renders Samsung's pretty much useless. No point in having a fitness app that is so terribly off when it comes to tracking distance. Any help would be appreciated.

AntonioFreitas
First Poster
Options
Hello!
I have the same problem with the same phone too!
Lecornu
Apprentice
Options

Is there a fix for this as I have just walked 5113 steps to be advised I have walked 1.6 miles

App is absolutely useless at present

Todi90
Journeyman
Options

I've left no stone unturned on the web, but can't find any fixes that could be implemented from our side. Maybe a Samsung rep will eventually step in and get to the bottom of this. If anyone here manages to get in touch with Samsung and finds out more, please drop us a line here as well. Thanks.

Lecornu
Apprentice
Options

@Todi90 wrote:

I've left no stone unturned on the web, but can't find any fixes that could be implemented from our side. Maybe a Samsung rep will eventually step in and get to the bottom of this. If anyone here manages to get in touch with Samsung and finds out more, please drop us a line here as well. Thanks.

I’ve had to delete the app and go with another as it was just far too frustrating to persevere with app working incorrectly. Selfishly I am kind of glad that I am not the only one having issues

Todi90
Journeyman
Options

Hah, same here. Moved onto a different app as well. Still hoping for a fix though. Was thinking about getting myself a Galaxy Watch Active 2 as well, but with the Samsung Health distance issues and the Strava integration issues, I'll probably looking elsewhere, or hold out untill Samsung releases fixes all across the board.

0 Likes
Idlewild
First Poster
Options

Same here, also with the A70. My job involves walking 20,000 - 25,000 steps a day, which is usually around 10 - 13 miles. The step count is still pretty accurate but the mileage is recording around 5 - 6 miles only. Very frustrating. I've only had the phone for a week, so I'm yet to test it when running. If that doesn't work accurately, it will have to be a new app.

0 Likes
BigMick1
Apprentice
Options

Yep, its gotta be the phone.  I replaced my S8 with an A70 last month and the problem started.  Like others have mentioned, the step count seems comparable to what was reflected on the S8, but the distance is less than half what I walk (I routinely walk the same courses, walking my dog).  A 4km walk this morning came up as 1.83km.   A fix is needed soon Samung - although my question is, is it the app or the phone itself, given it works fine on the S8?