Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

A50: Can I allow mobile data per individual app?

(Topic created on: 23-10-2019 05:29 AM)
FrankieGTH
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

On my previous phone (not a Samsung) I could set for each individual app whether it is was allowed to access mobile data. That is a very convenient feature, because there are only a few that I need when outside (Google Maps, a parking app, an app to remotely switch on my airco at home, etc.). The rest would only be using up costly data, even when not in use, and be distracting in traffic.

I cannot find such a split function on the A50, only a 'master switch' to turn all mobile data on and off.  Am I overlooking something? Or is there an alternative? And if not, would Samsung be willing to create such a function?

9 REPLIES 9
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I'm not using your model of phone @FrankieGTH  but on mine if I go into Settings 》 Apps 》 Tap on the App 》 Mobile Data  》 I do have a few options there to set some preferences for the app.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
FrankieGTH
Apprentice
Options

Hey @BandofBrothers,

Thanks for trying to help out. And following the path you describe, I do see an option Allow background data usage. But I wonder whether that, when disabled, also blocks data usage if the app has been opened, not being actively used but not having been closed either? Would you know that?

Solution
strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options

Hello @FrankieGTH 

Please enable Data Saver.

Go to Settings > Connections > Data Usage 

Enable Data Saver

You can manage apps on the list to access/restrict mobile data on the standby. 

Screenshot_20191024-081418_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20191024-081122_Settings.jpg

Thanks 😊😊😊

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @FrankieGTH 

You would need to check by trying  :smiling-face:

I personally choose not to limit data usage as I want the best user experience with my phone and thus as a smartphone uses data for quite a lot nowadays I don't limit things.

My network data allowance is pretty generous.

Please also do try @strawberry cake  suggestion.

You'll see an extra icon in your status bar if you activate this and do remember you've activated it if you do then encounter your phone providing a limited user experience.

Please do let us know how you get on.

:smiling-face:

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
FrankieGTH
Apprentice
Options
Yeah, that's it! Thank you, Lunicatore!
0 Likes
Titanium_22
First Poster
Options

I've done all that, but it still uses data and I still get notifications. What I need to know is if I can completely disable the data usage of an app that even if go to that app, it wont connect till I switch it back to use data. That's what I need to know. 

Anduril97
Apprentice
Options

We all know this is not a real solution whatsoever.  Most other Android distros have an actual mobile data toggle per app, Samsung has to be difficult and not have this feature. it's a big shame and makes the user experience less controlled and customizable. Obviously there is their famous Background Data usage toggle but still this says nothing as to why every time I want to play a game off of wifi I have to first turn off my mobile data where in any other android or even iPhone (which I don't like much else otherwise) I could just have disabled mobile data for that app/game only.

0 Likes
Anduril97
Apprentice
Options

I'm sorry nobody has responded to your question. Truth is I am an android modder and Samsung is one of the only "distributions" of android to not support the app-specific mobile data toggle. My apologies that the people on these sites constantly use the background data as a replacement... it is not the same as iPhone or Pixel or any other phone that simply lets you turn off your mobile data for a specific app.

Members_lzsGjiK
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I find this a very big short comming on this phone series. And very misleading and even mischevious to be redirected constantly to this background data use. This is NOT the point. What  is absolutely  correct. Is it so difficult to develop this into the core software? I do not want spotify to switch to mobila data for instance... this uses heaps of MB which can result in an unfriendly bill.

0 Likes