Support

Open search

A10 (and other) Photo Orientation

Highlighted
SOLVED
First Poster

Why do photos show "right way up" in the Gallery... but as soon as they're transported anywhere else Portraits fall over (90° left) and Landscapes turn upside down (180°)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @1Cal ,

Unsure if it's the exact same thing as what's going on in your case, but pretty much the  same thing happens when I export photos taken on my S10 (on One UI 2/Android 10) to a Windows 7 PC via Gmail. The Gmail preview on the PC shows the correct orientation, but as soon as I download them to the PC the photos appear exactly you say. (I can manually rotate them back to as they should be though.)

I came across this article, from which I'd reckon it's a case of the EXIF orientation data on the photos not being read correctly (or at all) by the other Operating System/app in those instances.

Say "Hello!" to the Community in The Introduce Yourself Thread.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Hi @1Cal ,

Unsure if it's the exact same thing as what's going on in your case, but pretty much the  same thing happens when I export photos taken on my S10 (on One UI 2/Android 10) to a Windows 7 PC via Gmail. The Gmail preview on the PC shows the correct orientation, but as soon as I download them to the PC the photos appear exactly you say. (I can manually rotate them back to as they should be though.)

I came across this article, from which I'd reckon it's a case of the EXIF orientation data on the photos not being read correctly (or at all) by the other Operating System/app in those instances.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
First Poster

Hi @AntS,

Many thanks for your excellent reply, and link, which explain the problem for me. 

I currently use Windows 7.  (From the information you provided) that (Windows 7), and all previous versions will flip the photos (which explains a lot).  The information on your link (and a link within that link) explains this in comprehensive detail.

Now that Windows 7 is no longer supported perhaps I should consider upgrading to Windows 10... 

Highlighted

No worries @1Cal ! 

LOL! Guess in this case it kinda depends on which is more of a pain in the rear: manually rotating pictures or upgrading to Windows 10. 

But I can confirm the exact same pictures I took on my S10 are in the correct orientation when I downloaded them on a Windows 10 PC. 

Highlighted
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @1Cal  Obviously Windows 10 should sort out the orientation issue, good article @AntS .

However I think there are stronger arguments for upgrading anyway as unlikely there will be any  more updates or patches  for the older system.  so security risks.  They have though unexpectedly  released a fix for the Wallpaper bug.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-7-to-get-post-end-of-life-update-to-fix-wall... 

For guide on upgrading see here :https://computing.which.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/360009159719-How-to-upgrade-from-Windows-7-to-Window... 

Top Liked Authors