Support

Open search

Staying In Part 1: Work and Play

Community Manager

Community_Lifestyle_Banner_Opening_SEUK.png

Working_From_Home.jpg

Working from home

Whether you're adjusting to a temporary remote work situation or you're eyeing up the prospect of flexible working for the long term, there are several steps you can take to enhance your productivity.  

Separate your workspace

Staying_In_Work_From_Home.JPGIf possible, demarcate separate spaces for work and relaxation. Your office station should include a clean, flat surface and natural light. The UK National Health Service advises to sit with your knees slightly lower than your hips and have your feet touching the floor. Your monitor should be an arm's length away, with the top of the screen at eye level.

Don't change your alarms

Maintaining your routine can help anchor you to normality in an otherwise surreal time. Try to sleep, wake up and get dressed at the same times as you usually would. You can use Bixby Routines if you're struggling.

Stay active during the day

For many people, a typical workday will involve movement and communication with others, so try to incorporate this mix at home. Stand up and walk around during phone calls, set up team dial-ins for added interaction and move to different spaces for water or healthy snacks during screen breaks. If living alone, set up video calls rather than just phone calls where possible.

Things_To_Do_Staying_In.jpg

Entertainment

Making some plans in advance will bring structure to your free time during the lockdown and help you to identify opportunities for relaxation, creativity and productivity.  

Write a list

A challenge faced by many of us right now is boredom. You might also be feeling pressurised to 'make the most' of your time indoors, but not know exactly how to do that. One of the best ways to energise a process is to gamify it, so grab a scrap of paper, set a timer for 90 seconds and see how many activities you can list, from books you want to read to household jobs that need doing. 

Invest in a skill

Staying_In_Online.jpgIf you fancy a challenge during your free time, why not enrol in an online course? You can find free Ivy League classes from the likes of Harvard and Yale on topics such as coding, history and psychology, starting with just a few hours per week.

Babbel and Duolingo are great apps to launch a foreign language and you can discover creative resources like Mobile Filmmaking 101 on Explore. Brush up your culture knowledge with Virtual Views from MoMA in New York and remote tours of the Uffizi Gallery in Florence or the British Museum in London.

Shake-up the binge

With streaming services like Disney+ and Netflix, it's never been easier to lose yourself in nostalgic films and fascinating documentaries. But why stop there? Stream world-class theatre content courtesy of London's National Theatre at home, or check out the Royal Opera House's #OurHouseToYourHouse broadcasts via its social channels. If you're learning a language, get hooked on a foreign-language series or podcast.

Staying_In_Entertainment.JPG

Want more inspiration for work and play from home? Head to the EntertainmentGaming and Photography pages on Explore or check out Work From Home and Win the Day or Tips and Tricks for Your Home Office.

If you've got some ideas of your own to share, post a comment below!

The Community Team 

Discover more:

Samsung Hacks: Blue light reduction

Community Lifestyle: Remote working

Explore: Unmissable Shows to Watch on Your Netflix Mobile App

Use Samsung DeX for a desktop-like experience from a mobile device 

Community_Lifestyle_Closing_Banner.png

1 Comment
Superuser I
Superuser I

I must admit that I use my PC far less since the crisis considering I also use it for work, instead I prefer to use my TV/Game console to split things up a bit.

Fun fact! Even though I do live alone, I tend to add as many videocalls as possible during the daily meetings (After some time the collegues also started videocalling during the conferences ), its weird that its not that hard for me to get used to the new way of life (TM).