Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Newsroom

Find the latest news and tips about Samsung products and services. Read articles, reviews, photos and more.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote working

Discover
Samsung Content Creator
Options

Community_Lifestyle_Banner_Opening_SEUK.png

Remote working is rapidly changing employment cultureRemote working is rapidly changing employment cultureIt can often feel like we are moving closer and closer towards a project-based economy. And with the proliferation of cloud-based tools and globalised services it’s easy to understand why the professional landscape is changing so quickly. 

Digital nomadism, remote work, multi-hyphenate professions and all other iterations of the modern, customisable career seem to be more accepted than ever. Ditch the office! The world is your office. Have five careers! And have them all at once if you want.

As the article How to Join The New Work Tribe on Samsung Explore UK states, in 2020 as many as 105 million US professionals could be working remotely, and 62% of the next generation are likely to be entrepreneurs. It would seem, in this digital age, that tech-savvy, organised individuals are freer than ever to create both their own job titles and their work conditions.

With increased autonomy, panoramic networking potential and a healthier work-life balance on offer, it’s no wonder so many seek to dissolve their cubicle office routines in favour of more agile alternatives. But what do we think? How many of us have, currently are or want to deviate from a traditional 9-to-5 desk? And what does it really entail?

Surely a lot of us have gawked with jealousy at those photos of laptops on faded coffee shop tables overlooking rice fields or a sparkling ocean. The digital nomads travelling the world, working with a view, Wi-Fi connection and beach chair in-hand.

But this is just one end of the spectrum. In reality, as Swiss company IWG reported this year, 50% of employees globally already work away from their main office for a minimum of two and a half days every week. And 80% of those surveyed said they would turn down job offers which offered no flexible working.

So what’s the reality of so-called Generation Flex? Is the ‘work smarter, not longer’ mentality realistic, or sustainable? Have any of us been digital nomads in the past, or want to be in the future? And what does this shift in work culture signify for the future of both employers and employees?

Let us know what you think,

The Community Team :handshake:

Discover more:

Community Lifestyle: How to create an eco-lifestyle? 

2 Comments
AntS
Options

Well, remote working would save me from the stress and expense of the daily commute. Not too sure my bosses would be happy about me rarely being in the office in person though. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye::face-with-tears-of-joy:

That 'New Work Tribe' work culture concept isn't really new if you're a professional writer or artist. :winking-face:

In terms of what it may signify for the future, I think there would be an increasing shift from an hourly pay and monitoring/regulation mentality to more of a results-driven one - even at organisations where the meticulous measurement of each grain of sand passing through the working day hourglass is the norm, and even an asset that they use to sell themselves on. And as much due to adapting to customer demand as that of employee/potential employee.

As for myself,  I do very much like the concept of 'working smarter rather than harder'. (I've tried to apply that principle in all the job roles I've had, where I can.)

And I quite like a certain amount of flexibility; one of the attractions of my current role.

But, I think one of the concerns for me about working from anywhere at any time, would be the invasion of work into non-work space. I tend to be very immersive; and if I’ve got an idea or set task I find it very difficult to stop until it’s done… or until I drop. Not always the best for my health – physical or mental! It’s been a lifelong learning exercise and effort to better regulate myself, and a clear boundary of ‘work’ versus ‘non-work’ space and time has helped with that.

SjorsK
Maestro
Options

I actually have two jobs. One for my employer and one for myself (Self employed). 

During my day to day job I can basically sit down anywhere in the building where I like and do "my thing". But being partly a field engineer does give me that freedom. 

Considering I litterally have to "run" to an emercency situation it is however impossible for me to work the majority of the time from home but considering the many administrative duties I have I can do that as an "exception". But I do definitely have the facilities for working from home available to me whenever required. 

For my own company however.... The world is my office. Around christmas I was launching a promotion from a station while waiting for a bus. Right now i'm coding in the train to improve our Organic Google Ranking :smiling-face: 

Until next month I have a 20GB databundle for 19 euro/month. To be more flexible I decided to upgrade to an unlimited data bundle for 27 euro/month so I can be a complete digital nomad whenever I like :face-with-tears-of-joy: 

WiFi-Hotspot on, Laptop on, Action :winking-face: 

#DoWhatYouCan't #TheWorldIsMyPlayground