Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung 860 QVO SSD not accessible after restart/warm boot

(Topic created on: 18-01-2020 06:38 PM)
d618089
Journeyman
Options

Have put a Samsung 860 QVO in a Thinkpad T520i and cloned old HDD to it.

If T520i is switched on via power button, SSD works perfect, Windows 7 Pro X64 boots up fine.

If a "Restart" is initiated within Windows, the SSD shows up in BIOS POST output as "Fixed Disk: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB", but directly after that it is not recognized (any more?), the bootmenu of Thinkpad with DVD drive only shows up. No other devices are connected, only PSU.

Any idea what's going on here?

SSD was updated to latest firmware with Samsung Magician during problem research, no change.

Have posted some more details with screenshots also here: hXXps://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Windows-does-not-see-boot-SSD-at-warm-restart-T520i/td-p/4624239

Thanks for any ideas how to fix that.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
d618089
Journeyman
Options

After hours of research and trying and updating "Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller" 11.2.0.1006 to 12.9.4.1000 and 12.8.20.1002 (which appears to be newer than 12.9.4.1000 ?!) from some HP driver packages, still no change, SSD still boots only after cold start.

Finally changed the AHCI driver via "search on the computer" then "from list" to "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller", and now SSD also boots after reboot / warm start.

Issue solved. :smiling-face: :grinning-face-with-one-large-and-one-small-eye:

View solution in context

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
Solution
d618089
Journeyman
Options

After hours of research and trying and updating "Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller" 11.2.0.1006 to 12.9.4.1000 and 12.8.20.1002 (which appears to be newer than 12.9.4.1000 ?!) from some HP driver packages, still no change, SSD still boots only after cold start.

Finally changed the AHCI driver via "search on the computer" then "from list" to "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller", and now SSD also boots after reboot / warm start.

Issue solved. :smiling-face: :grinning-face-with-one-large-and-one-small-eye:

0 Likes
Torsson
First Poster
Options

Dear  

I have the same issue with freshly installed Samsung QVO 860 1TB - the same as you have.

Laptop is HP EliteBook 8470p. 

UPDATE: Your solution works for me too. THANKS A LOT!!! :smiling-face:

0 Likes
PostSolutionsOnly
First Poster
Options

If the drive is visible in the BIOS, as well as in the device manager within Windows. Open Disk Management, right click on the drive, and create a (simple) volume. Then assign a letter and name it.

I tried everything else in this thread, and felt kind of silly that I forgot about the Disk Management app within Windows.

0 Likes
tedysh
Student
Options

I have exactly this problem with a Samsung SSD 870QVO 1TB, on my HP8560w (Windows 10).

Where did you find this AHCI driver and how have you installed it?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Torsson
First Poster
Options

Please read the post marked as solution from the first poster:

0 Likes
tedysh
Student
Options

OK, reading the brief description of the solution above was not that obvious (even if I am a professional), so for the benefit of others here is the full solution (that seemed to have worked for me too!):

1. Press and hold the Windows key on your keyboard, then press R. This will launch the Run utility.
  2. Type in “devmgmt.msc” and hit OK to bring up the Device Manager.
  3. Expand the “IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers” category. Your SATA controller(s) should be listed here.
  4. Right-click on the listed item(s) in this category, then select “Update driver.” 
  5. Click on “Browse my computer for drivers”.
  6. Click on "Let me pick from a list of avaiable drivers on my computer".
  7. Select from list "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" and click "Next".
  8. Restart the computer so that the new driver takes effect.
0 Likes
ghostman99
Journeyman
Options

For information, these steps solved the exact same problem I had with Samsung 870 QVO SSD after I made sure that both my BIOS version is the latest for my laptop and also after using Samsung magician to update the SSD to the latest firmware.

Thank you so much for putting the detailed steps here, I lost an entire day trying to fix it. After I did the above steps and made sure my BIOS is set to AHCI mode, the problem was solved; and now I'm able to restart my laptop normally without having to shut down and turn it on again.

0 Likes
tedysh
Student
Options

Hi ghostman99,

Glad to hear that you have benefited from my posting here and I do appreciate your feedback at the same time.

0 Likes
Members_kBEHCXg
First Poster
Options

Thanks a lot tedysh,

I got the same problem.

With a new drive I install instead of 2 Drive in RAID 0.

Didn't get any trouble until today where I update the firmware of the SSD and reboot my PC...

The Samsung SSD 870 EVO, 1 TB I got was not visible inside the bios... So I couldn't boot on it...

If I shutdown the power, and restart it, the drive reappear....

I just select like you advise "Standard SATA AHCI Controller", and it fix the problem !

Thanks a lot !!

0 Likes