Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chg70-32 Purple ghosting using Freesync

(Topic created on: 02-05-2019 10:10 AM)
ValkyrieShana
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

I recently purchased the chg70 (32") (model number LC32HG70QQUXEN ) and while testing out freesync in some games I've noticed there is purple trails ghosting around objects when i moved the camera in game fast when the object has a high contrast difference to the background.

I've read this purple trail is actually known as reverse-ghosting / corona and it seems to have something to do with overshoot on the overdrive during freesync.

This doesn't happen when i use the Normal/Faster/Fastest overdrive options but when i turn on Freesync and the framerate is within the freesync range (e.g. fps fluctuating around 60fps). Only seems to happen with Ultimate Freesync setting, it might do the same in standard freesync but my fps is not in the smaller freesync range to test.

To my understanding my new monitor shipped with firmware 1061.2 or 1017.0 and the only firmware above this is the korean 1019.2 firmware for chg70-32, will this new firmware fix this overshoot on the overdrive in freesync or is there a firmware to fix this in the works? I'm still in the return period and I'd rather not have to return the monitor due to issues with freesync as it's otherwise a great monitor bar the fact that freesync 2 is not working correctly as advertised.

Thank you

Notes:
Seen particularly in Dragons Dogma on pc @1440p SDR in shadowy town, move camera around fast. Does same in Witcher3 according to another user. I can provide a recording in the next day of this if required.
Tested via both enclosed HDMI and DP cables from a Vega64 gcard, only appears to happen so far for me while inside the freesync range where the refreshrate is flucating in the info OSD menu.

25 REPLIES 25
skinerd
First Poster
Options

Same issue on the C27CHG70. I recorded a slow-motion video with my cell phone showing this problem while playing Mirror's Edge: Catalyst, seen here: https://youtu.be/np6yxsNzj8E

C27CHG70 with DisplayPort, firmware 1020.0

Freesync Ultimate Engine

ASrock Vega64 GPU with drivers v19.1.1

There's no issue with Freesync Standard, but then the variable refresh range is much worse and no HDR is available. This monitor was expensive - please fix this, Samsung!

ValkyrieShana
Apprentice
Options

months later and still no official reply here and still no updated firmware 😞 

jojolapin102
Apprentice
Options

I am really bored and annoyed about that, I begin to seriously hate Samsung because I wrote them a lot of emails to complain about that, without any response from them. I fell like they think I am stupid and I really don't like that. They always say they transmit the issue to the technical service, I wait for months and write again, they say "oh sorry" and the same thing repeats and repeats.

So I plan to sell the monitor and buy an AOC AGON AG273QCX, it is far better, more expensive but really better, and the overdrive is controllable.

FMDCC
Student
Options

It's really bad that Samsung ignores this problem. Currently this screen simply has a mode Freesync 2 useless in the state. As a result, I am forced to use the simple "Freesync 1" mode.

aaronth07
Student
Options

Unfortunately, standard Freesync is entirely useless to me (and doesn't even eliminate the problem entirely) because I love HDR in games. Everything else about this monitor is amazing, except for the auto sharpening effect when using HDR (which support confirmed cannot be turned off, unfortunately). It's such a same that this monitor is ruined by something that is easy to fix, all they would have to do is make the overdrive setting adjustable.

The lack of support for this is absolutely horrible, even more so for a product priced at $600 USD (for 27 inch). I have gotten better support with $150 USD monitors than I have with this monitor. Even a support rep saying that they aren't going to do anything about it would be better than complete silence.

foresterr
Apprentice
Options
I agree the radio silence from support is the most disappointing aspect of this 😕 I have opened a support ticket, and after asking twice (over a course of a month) with the same canned non-answer every time (supposedly, the issue was passed to technical division and they are looking into it. Yeah right. Passed to /dev/null more like), I figured there was no point in asking anymore. That was months ago, and not a peep from Samsung support.

At this point, I figure that this monitor model is already several years old and likely a successor is in the pipeline, so Samsung couldn't care less.
Danternas
Student
Options

I have the same issue on my C27HG70 and it renders the "ultimate engine" completely useless for nearly all applications.

It is a shame on an otherwise competent monitor but since Freesync was one of its major features and it is a gaming monitor I've had to adjust my reviews from a strong 4 to a mediocre 3. Mind this is not a cheap monitor and expectations should be high. You can get many other 1ms 144hz monitors with working Freesync for the same price, although IPS-panels.

I've always held Samsung in high esteem but it appears they can't do gaming monitors and have no interest whatsoever to fix the issues. My next monitor will certainly not be a Samsung if they can't even bother to give us an option to turn off the overdrive (which at least would be a half-decent fix).

Vivid1
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue on the C32HG70 with the lastest firmware [1021.4] on korean website.

If  i turn off the FreeSync off, the ghosting are gone.

Im not sure if VA panel + G-sync have the ghosting issue?Can anyone confirm?

Thanks.

0 Likes
AlexRZ
Student
Options

Same, using the c27hg70, latest Nvidia drivers, GTX 1070-TI. Firmware 1022.1. Ghosting problems in freesync, ultimate engine mode.

0 Likes
Jesuseliasestudio
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem with my CHG90 monitor that cost me 1,200€ .... In my case I have a GTX 1080Ti

0 Likes