Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

universal remote setup

(Topic created on: 01-01-2018 07:30 PM)
urz2006
First Poster
Options

Hi all - can anyone help as I have spoken to Samsung by phone 4 times now and got nowhere!

I have a model UE46F6400AK tv connected by HDMI input #1 (STB) to the SKY BOX - this is a 2tb HD box, on the back says model number DXR895 which I believe is an Amstrad box.

The optical from the tv is connected to a Yamaha YAS93 soundbar.

What I cannot do is get the samsung universal remote to see the sky box to change channels. Despite the fact that from October 2013 when buying this tv it has been doing that perfectly!

the only thing that has changed is that the optical from the tv used to run to a surround sound amp, this has now been replaced by the above soundbar. the HDMI cable between tv and sky box and the sky box itself hasn't changed. However the tv remote no longer changes the sky channel. I have tried to reinstall it as follows without success.

from tv, selecting the universal remote setup option, it then asks what do i want to set up - choose set top box

then asks for tv provider - SKY UK is auto ticked, I proceed with this then get the prompt to press channel up/down keys but this no longer changes the sky channel shown in the mini picture.

I try searching for model number DXR895 manually and get no results close to it even. it keeps trying to suggest DIGIBOX as the closest match. Yes, I have scrolled down to "more model numbers" etc without success.

Now the reason I am so frustrated is this has until now worked fine, so I know this particular box is capable of being controlled by the samsung universal remote, but it seems the TV database is not showing this sky box model. I would have given up if I didn't know it can work! Other forums suggested changing the initial "SKY UK" provider option on BSKYB...now interestingly when I do that, then search model numbers manually, I get results for DXR890 and other older models, but still not DXR895.

What I cannot seem to get across to the phone support people is that clearly they have different box models stored under different providers here, depending on what is selected at the first stage of setup. I feel sure that somewhere in this samsung database in the background is my model number DXR895 but I can't find the right provider to search under. They can't seem to understand however that they need to interrogate this database to find it so they can direct me to the right provider choice - they keep having me reset the tv, update the software etc and then tell me to call sky - but its clearly not a sky issue as it is the tv setup function which is not finding the box!

I have lost the will with phone support and have no confidence they know wat they are talking about - on the remote manangement they said software version 2126 (as on the tv already) needed to be updated to version 2117 (as shown as the lastest release on the samsung support page for this model...i queried this, surely the higher number meant a later version etc, no, definitely not.....so followed all the steps but try as I might the tv would not update manually from the usb stick to version 2117...called again, this time support told me no 2126 was the later version, and the website was out of date...when I asked why the website would have an old out of date version she just kept saying it was out of date!

Please can anyone help - I can't believe I am the only person with a samsung tv trying to control this kind of sky HD box.....and as I say it has worked fine before so I feel sure it has somehow been removed or changed in the underlying samsung tv database duirng an update etc.

Thanks in advance for any ideas...at wits end!!

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24
MagicB
Student
Options
I'm not from Samsung but have had similar issue. Sorry I cannot help but wanted to confirm you are not alone with this issue. Sorry to say I gave up on this quite a while back and just use both remotes.....good luck
0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi urz2006! :smileyhappy:

When you were setting up the remote, did you make sure the IR Extension Cable/IR Blaster dongle was properly connected?

Same question to you, MagicB. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
urz2006
First Poster
Options

Hi

Yes all properly connected of course. But when I go to the set up screen it will never change the channels. I believe all sky boxes work on the same IR frequency but as there is nowhere to input a code manually it's impossible to tell.

I still believe that there has been an update to the TV database as it found this model of SKY box 3 years ago, but now doesn't recognise it. But trying to get this across to anyone at samsung help team on phone is impossible !

0 Likes
Dakeb
Student
Options

Does the Samsung pushbutton remote work okay? On the universal remote I can't change channels or volume. 

0 Likes
martins
First Poster
Options

I Just tried to set this up, I have a DRX890WL(the number underneath adds a "-C" to this) sky+ box.

When I tried to set it up using sky as the provider I could not get it to work.

When I chose "Pace" as the provider it all went smoothly.

Hope this helps.

Solution
EloiseW
First Poster
Options

Had a similar problem with my tv. I managed to connect the Samsung remote to my Sky box by choosing Amstrad as the manufacturer and typing sky into the model number section. I then chose the type of sky box that I own (Sky+ HD) and after that, the Samsung remote worked perfectly.

CarlostheChief
Student
Options

0 Likes
Solution
CarlostheChief
Student
Options

I had a similar issue. Was working then stopped. Resetting the TV back to factory settings got everything working again. Now can use remote to control sky.

0 Likes
Solution
Tasiu
Apprentice
Options

Hi

Had the same problem for quite a while but found a solution this morning.

In my case it was an IR receiver in wrong position.

I have changed IR receiver position so it sits in front of all devices on tv stand and it works perfect now.

Hope it will help 😉

0 Likes