Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 10-12-2019 06:26 PM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
Portuguese2
Apprentice
Options

I will wait for this unconfirmed update of Soundbar Samsung q90r until the early days of January. If not came I will put it on market and buy another brand with earc. Samsung no more. 

0 Likes
Viktorn
Journeyman
Options

Ok, just to brake it down. 

The bar can be connected directly to the TV via ARC and at the moment it supports Dolby Digital Plus (Might change by update)

DD+ is capable of delivering ATMOS and in the future (I read) will be capable delivering up to 15.1 channels of Hi-Fi sound. So it's very much capable. ARC can also take care of any lip sync problems and deliver up to 8K video at 30hz. 

The soundbar also supports Dolby true HD and DTS-HD master audio. Then the sourch has to be connected to the soundbar itself and the ARC (if there is also video) is at least a 4K passthrough. That way you can get lossless sound and high quality video. 

Now, I think every streaming service is streaming in DD+ at least so you can have all your Apps on the TV (if it supports DD+) And get atmos through ARC. 

If you have a device that can deliver these higer qualeties of sound (doupt that there are more than 2 in any home) you can connect it to the soundbar and get lossless audio. 

So, bottom line. The soundbar can do all that stuff and you can enjoy atmos through DD+, DTS:X, Lossles Atmos through Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master audio. You just have to connect sources ether to TV or Soundbar depending on what format it supports.

Let's just hope that the HDMI'a are at least 2,0b hopefully 2,1:)

bjornland
First Poster
Options

My biggest problem with the Soundbar is the audio delay when using dolby(both dolby digital and ATMOS) through arc.

I can delay the sound in the audio sync setting both on my c9 and my hw-q90r. But as the sound is already delayed, It would only ad to my problem. 

0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

@bjornland wrote:

My biggest problem with the Soundbar is the audio delay when using dolby(both dolby digital and ATMOS) through arc.

I can delay the sound in the audio sync setting both on my c9 and my hw-q90r. But as the sound is already delayed, It would only ad to my problem. 

That's exackly my problem too. And eARC is the only hope here.

0 Likes
Viktorn
Journeyman
Options

I got a TV since 2016 and it's connected via ARC. I got no lip-sync problems what so ever, not even with atmos. 

The auto lip-sync specification was introduced in HDMI 1.3, released in 2006.

- Guess you could check if you have an HDMI cable 1.3 or later.. 

0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

@Viktorn wrote:

I got a TV since 2016 and it's connected via ARC. I got no lip-sync problems what so ever, not even with atmos. 

The auto lip-sync specification was introduced in HDMI 1.3, released in 2006.

- Guess you could check if you have an HDMI cable 1.3 or later.. 

I have checked various HDMI 2.0b and HDMI 2.1 cables, even one of the most expensive on the market. So no, I don't use a HDMI 1.3 cable.

Beside that, eARC brings few more lip-sync improvements over ARC. eARC has lip-sync compensation built-in. This feature was optional in ARC, but is required with eARC.

0 Likes
bjornland
First Poster
Options

I get the same lipsync problem on both hdmi 2.0 and 2.1 cables. It seem to be a widespread problem

0 Likes
zoric
Explorer
Options

How can someone have lip sync issue and someone not?especially LG C9 owners?!

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
It’s a confusing topic, I have the C9 and never experienced any form of lip sync issues with the Q90 soundbar
0 Likes
sameu6
Apprentice
Options

I think whatever you have said is true.  I would also say we don't have to worry about eARC upgrade much (in my opinion), as i currently use my xbox one x as the 4k uhd streaming device connected directly to my Q90R soundbar and the HDMI ARC is going from Soundbar to my Samsung TV.  So i'm really not going to loss any audio here (correct me if i'm wrong), I get to hear high quality ATMOS or DTS:X audio streamed from xbox and the 4K HDR video on my TV screen.  Only simplification is, if the Soundbar comes with eARC firmware upgrade, i'll just connect the xbox source directly to my TV and stream both audio & video via eARC.  In both cases, i'm not going to miss anything.

0 Likes