Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 09-12-2019 05:58 PM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
I suppose for more than two you’d just have to swap out the devices which is far from ideal everytime.
_oSo_
Navigator
Options
@White_Turbo. For you to get Dolby atmos from your tv via the Q90R soundbar you need:
1) A tv that supports ARC or eARC and It is connected to the soundbar using the HDMI ARC port.
2) An app that streams atmos content installed in the tv. In my case I have a QLED Q90R tv connected to the soundbar using the arc port and the Netflix, VUDU and Prime video apps provide content in atmos, this means that when streaming from any of this apps and the content is available in atmos I see the atmos logo on the soundbar and the audio I receive is a compressed version of atmos.
White_Turbo
Journeyman
Options

@_oSo_ wrote:
@White_Turbo. For you to get Dolby atmos from your tv via the Q90R soundbar you need:
1) A tv that supports ARC or eARC and It is connected to the soundbar using the HDMI ARC port.
2) An app that streams atmos content installed in the tv. In my case I have a QLED Q90R tv connected to the soundbar using the arc port and the Netflix, VUDU and Prime video apps provide content in atmos, this means that when streaming from any of this apps and the content is available in atmos I see the atmos logo on the soundbar and the audio I receive is a compressed version of atmos.

Thanks. I think this is clear to me now.   I want to buy the Q90R, but not until Samsung push the eARC update.

0 Likes
_oSo_
Navigator
Options
Yes I agree with you. If eARC is important to you then hold on a bit and wait. I Really don’t believe the 2019 QLED Q90R will get a an update for eARC. I wish I died but we are talking about a tv that’s been in the market for a year and soon there will be a new model and it won’t be the best new thing anymore. We are already mid December and in the biggest time of the year for sales so if Samsung hasn’t done that update most likely it’s not interested. Why I think will happen is that Samsung will Launch a new model with eARC capable and maybe HDMI 2.1. They will market this as the new best feature and push it as the most modern tv available in their lineup. Pretty sad for those of us that trusted the brand, if I had even remotely suspected that I wouldn’t have bought the Q90R tv. I would have definitely gone for the LG which already support eARC and I believe have HDMI 2.1. To late for me but if you are not in a hurry for a new tv better and wait for the new Samsung lineup or opt for LG which apparently has much better credibility and better customer support.
fb767
Explorer
Options

@_oSo_ wrote:
Yes I agree with you. If eARC is important to you then hold on a bit and wait. I Really don’t believe the 2019 QLED Q90R will get a an update for eARC. I wish I died but we are talking about a tv that’s been in the market for a year and soon there will be a new model and it won’t be the best new thing anymore. We are already mid December and in the biggest time of the year for sales so if Samsung hasn’t done that update most likely it’s not interested. Why I think will happen is that Samsung will Launch a new model with eARC capable and maybe HDMI 2.1. They will market this as the new best feature and push it as the most modern tv available in their lineup. Pretty sad for those of us that trusted the brand, if I had even remotely suspected that I wouldn’t have bought the Q90R tv. I would have definitely gone for the LG which already support eARC and I believe have HDMI 2.1. To late for me but if you are not in a hurry for a new tv better and wait for the new Samsung lineup or opt for LG which apparently has much better credibility and better customer support.

Sadly, I completely agree with you. I don't have the Q90R TV, but I do have the soundbar and bought it because review after review mentoned how it will be getting eARC through an update (I have an LG C9 and wanna take advantage of its eARC capability).

Much like their phones, Samsung hates putting out updates for older devices and I feel like such a sucker for believing them regarding their "upcoming" eARC update. 

0 Likes
Daveo1410
First Poster
Options

I also have the LG C9 and the H850 sound bar. Am I right in thinking with my SKy Q or 4K UHD player being connected to tv I won't receive any Dolby Atmos sound without the Earc? 

0 Likes
zoric
Explorer
Options
No you are wrong...you will get compressed Atmos signal without eARC not lossless...but I don’t think your soundbar will get any eARC update...
0 Likes
_oSo_
Navigator
Options
Same as you, review after review convinced me about getting the soundbar and the tv. So in other words, they got me twice, because I bought the QLED Q90R tv and the Q90R soundbar. I Spent around $4k for a system that delivers no better than others much less expensive. Now I can’t just buy sometime else next year. I’ll have to stick with this system for a while. You learn from mistakes and I learned not to trust on Samsung ever again. This is my last purchase from Samsung, that’s for sure....
0 Likes
White_Turbo
Journeyman
Options

@_oSo_ wrote:
If eARC is important to you then hold on a bit and wait. I Really don’t believe the 2019 QLED Q90R will get a an update for eARC.

I mean the Q90R soundbar as I already bought a TV from Sony.  But yeah, if Samsung is going to update eARC, they should do it for both the TV and soundbar.  I believe the Samsung's competitor high-end TV (like LG C9, Sony Z9F etc.) all have eARC. 

0 Likes
zoric
Explorer
Options

As a matter of fact,Samsung stated that eARC is not important on this year's tv models...I read that a while ago when I was in a market for new TV...glad I bought Oled C9.

0 Likes