Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 09-12-2019 05:27 PM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
Also I’m sure someone said that Samsung Netflix etc... doesn’t support atmos which is weird. But from LG oled tvs no issues at all.
0 Likes
White_Turbo
Journeyman
Options

@J-Wo wrote:

This means if your TV itself has built in apps like Netflix, Disney+ or Prime with Atmos videos, you will only get DD 5.1 when connected to the soundbar via ARC

I guess this is the key for most people.  I mean practically, how many people still watch Blu-Ray disc?  Virtually everyone is streaming video directly at this point from smart TV directly, and eARC is the only way to get Dolby Atmos.

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
EARC is not the only way to get Dolby atmos. The LG c9 through standard arc allows Dolby atmos passthrough, yes it’s compressed to DD+ but works non the less.
0 Likes
fjpadilla
Apprentice
Options

I can confirm that Samsung TV Q90R can stream Dolby Atmos to my HW-Q70R soundbar via ARC.

With this TV, from 2019, I can get from the included NetFlix app 4k, HDR and Dolby Atmos. I can get 4k and HDR from the included Youtbe app.

My previos TV, from Samsumg too ( 2015) was a 4K TV, but I could not get 4k from youtube. That app could not stream at that resolution.

So, the question is... Who was the culprit of that? Samsung or Youtube? If a TV is capable ( the 2015 model was 4K) but the app is not capable who must fix it? I think that Samsung can't modify third party software, so Netflix, Youtube, HBO, etc must update their apps.

For example, at my Q90R I can't get Atmos from Youtube. From the Netflix App I can select Dolby Digital + to get Dolby Atmos at the sound bar, but from de Youtube App I can only Select PCM

0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

@zhspence wrote:
EARC is not the only way to get Dolby atmos. The LG c9 through standard arc allows Dolby atmos passthrough, yes it’s compressed to DD+ but works non the less.

But it suffers from lip sync issue. eARC fixes that.

zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
I have no issues with Lip sync at all and its not eARC yet.
0 Likes
White_Turbo
Journeyman
Options

@zhspence wrote:

Thanks. I was focusing on utilizing eARC under Dolby TrueHD. 

Can you confirm your connections?  Assuming you stream Netflix (or Amazon Prime) directly from your LG C9 and you have your TV and Soundbar hooked up via the HDMI ARC?

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
Yeah, I use Netflix etc... I have the soundbar connected directly to the arc port on the c9 with a 2.1 hdmi cable (not that matters too much) nothing else is connected to it all sound from all sources goes through the tv. The only way to get 7.1 is using the surround mode but obviously this is processed 7.1 and not true. Until eARC comes available on the soundbar this is my only option unless I connect a device to the soundbar then to the tv. Which is too much wires and not enough HDMI ports. EARC fixes so many issues but unfortunately whilst my tv is eARC supported its useless until Samsung decide if and when to implement eARC support to the Q90R soundbar.
zoric
Explorer
Options

Ok,that would work,but what about people who have more than two devices that need to be pluged in the soundbar?Q90r only have 2 HDMI + 1 ARC input,and I have Nvidia Shield,Xbox One X ,ATV ,PS4...the only option is that I connect them to my LG C9 that has more HDMI Inputs ...enough said.

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
Exactly this is the problem. If a soundbar has no eARC then it should allow more ports as two is pathetic. Whereas obviously eARC would remove the need for multiple ports as it could passthrough lossless audio and 7.1