Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with eARC update for the soundbar HW-Q90R?

(Topic created on: 15-11-2019 03:37 PM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi everyone,

I need some clarification, as to be honest the Samsung support staff are hopeless with knowing anything about their own products. 

I was on chat with support enquiring about the eARC firmware update for this soundbar, he replies to me saying it doesn't have eARC?! 

the whole reason I purchased it was because of this update, I have the LG C9 which is eARC!

if they don't provide this firmware update to allow it, then this soundbar is going back for a refund. 

864 REPLIES 864
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
How do you know about LG not allowing dolbytrueHD on their apps?
0 Likes
Blib
Explorer
Options

Extensive googling. I think I found this in the Plex forums, I will see if I can find the thread again

0 Likes
Blib
Explorer
Options
https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/4633/c9-earc-not-passing-truehd-atmos-through-to-receiver

Here is the original source, people trying to use c9 Plex app to pass sound to a eARC reciever
0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock... [cough] 15th... [cough]

0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

By the way... to be able to use eARC on Samsung Q80 Soundbar do we need HDMI 2.1 cable or good quality 2.0b cable will be fine?

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
I think you might be able to use a quality 2.0b but I have put a 2.1 cable in just to be safe as they allow more bandwidth so you’ll never be second guessing.
0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

Which cable you use? Belkin by any chance?

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
I use a belkin one for Apple TV 4K but for the soundbar I paid £17 for a 2.1 cable from amazon the brand is True HQ and is legitimate HDMI 2.1 spec. I don’t fancy spending £50 on belkin just for the sound pass-through when the one I have now will do exactly what the belkin one will do.
0 Likes
Soumil
Student
Options

Hi Zach, please correct me if I am wrong, but your understanding is that Samsung will provide the eARC update for Q90R in November. Thanks.

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
Hi soumil, yep as I understand the eARC support comes in the form of a firmware update and this month to all 2019 Q Series tv’s and soundbars.
0 Likes