Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Q & HDMI Surround Sound Setup

(Topic created on: 28-11-2018 11:51 PM)
Akkie007
Student
Options

Equipment - TV: Samsung UE49KS7500 / Soundbar: Samsung HW-MS6500 / Sky Q (UHD model)

I have connected everything using HDMI leads. Current set up:

TV (ARC port) to Soundbar (ARC port)

Sky Q to Soundbar HDMI port.

When i turn Sky & TV on (using SKY remote) the sound comes out of the TV speakers.

I then have to manually turn the soundbar on then select the source to HDMI in order to get sound out of the soundbar.

(I would have thought once the TV & SKY are powered up it would automatically turn the soundbar on?)

Is there something i am doing wrong regarding the setup for the soundbar not to automatically power up? (when connected via WiFi it powers it up no problem)

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18
CarlH
Options

Hi @Akkie007. To turn off the TV speakers, set Select Speaker > Settings > Sound > Select Speaker) to Audio Out/ Optical. Let me know if this forces the Soundbar to output the audio.

Akkie007
Student
Options

Tried it but didn't work.

It searches for the audio out/optical then defaults to TV speakers.

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi @Akkie007. Just to clarify your current set up: is the Sky Q connected directly to the TV or through the soundbar? :thinking-face:

0 Likes
Akkie007
Student
Options

Hi,

At present i have the following set up, to which Samung have also emailed me back and advised this is the correct set up also....

TV to soundbar connected by HDMI-ARC.

Sky Q connected to soundbar via the 2nd HDMI port located on the soundbar.

When everything is powered up, the soundbar defaults to source 'TV-ARC'. (this produces sound but no image)

I manually select HDMI then everything works fine.

I power the system down. When i come to watch next time, i turn everything on, HDMI flashes up on the soundbar but then instantly defaults back to 'TV-ARC'. (This is the bit thats driving me mental. Why cant it just stop on the HDMI source)

Any help is greatly appeciated.

Thank you

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Akkie007 wrote:

Hi,

At present i have the following set up, to which Samung have also emailed me back and advised this is the correct set up also....

TV to soundbar connected by HDMI-ARC.

Sky Q connected to soundbar via the 2nd HDMI port located on the soundbar.

When everything is powered up, the soundbar defaults to source 'TV-ARC'. (this produces sound but no image)

I manually select HDMI then everything works fine.

I power the system down. When i come to watch next time, i turn everything on, HDMI flashes up on the soundbar but then instantly defaults back to 'TV-ARC'. (This is the bit thats driving me mental. Why cant it just stop on the HDMI source)

Any help is greatly appeciated.

Thank you

The arc sends a sound signal to your AV when watching any TV channels. So if q is connected to you TV via hdmi then you would set the TV to the q in hdmi. The reciever would be set to the arc input.  Sky q sends a Dolby digital + signal via the arc to the reciever.  If you connect the q box to the reciever then you would put you TV on to the hdmi in from the reciever not the arc hdmi. 

Paul 

Akkie007
Student
Options

I am still in need of help with this setup. I am more than sure its going to be something really obvious to sort matters out.

So... I have gone back to the start disconnected and reset everything, then followed the soundbar instructions provided by Samsung and there is one very annoying thing that keeps happening.

I have added a video on YouTube to help show what is going wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ovq1rHf6s

0 Likes
kit1977
Journeyman
Options

Did you ever sort this out? I used to have same issue but found pressing the sky button on the sky remote control would send the signal from q box to soundbar and switch to hdmi input.

0 Likes
Akkie007
Student
Options

Sadly not!

Even contacted Samsung again and explained the issue and showed them the video of what happens. 

They said it was a software issue and to wait for an update. (which usually means we know there is an issue and will be doing nothing about it)

So, the set-up Samsung recommender’s in the instruction booklet does not work. FACT.

This making the 2nd HDMI port on the soundbar completely irrelevant as it does not perform how it should do/designed to do.

In future, I am going to opt for the sonos system 1) it works 2) the support on offer is brill.

0 Likes
kit1977
Journeyman
Options

Which soundbar and TV models do you have? Are the cable of the correct specification? Have you tried factory reset of both TV and Soundbar (which can help with ARC issues)? 

Also which iteration of Sky Q box do you have? Does it have a power supply with a transformer block or just direct cable?

0 Likes