Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung TV to Samsung soundbar with ARC - not working

(Topic created on: 21-10-2018 12:57 PM)
Pirko
Journeyman
Options

Hey!

I have a Samsung UEMU6175, and a Samsung HW-MS660 soundbar.

The TV is up and running, and the soundbar can play audio when streaming via Bluetooth.

However, getting the audio from the TV via HDMI (ARC) is not working.

I have the soundbar source set to "D.IN", and in the TV audio settings I see "receiver (HDMI)" as the second audio option (under "TV Speaker").

If I try to connect to "Receiver (HDMI)" the TV shows "Connecting Anynet+ Receiver" and a "loading" circle, but then nothing happens.

The TV tries to connect to this Receiver (HDMI)  like very 30 seconds, and the sound then goes mute for like 5 seconds. Then it is back to TV Speaker.

The TV actually connected to the soundbar once for a few minutes, when sound was coming through the soundbar. So there seems to be potentially working connection, but something causes this connection to not work properly.

Any ideas on what to try in order to make this work? Seems like a Samsung TV and a Samsung soundbar would be quite easy to connect, but no such luck...

87 REPLIES 87
Nash76
Explorer
Options

@Peter1952 wrote:

I have the same problem and have been told by my local dealer that it is the SKY Q box connection to the one box that causes the problem. There is some thing in the Samsung One Box that doesnt like SKY Q. Samsung are aware of the problem and are looking for a fix ..... but for how long. In the meantime the fix is to set up the TV/Soundbar without Sky Q connected and then connect Sky Q but this wont last for long on TVArc. The engineer has replaced the HDMI cable with a optical cable which he says is as good and more reliable? So no TV Arc connection. Anyone know if this is an engineer/Samsung load of waffle or is it true? How long have Samsung known about the problem and are they really working on a fix? Any assistance appreciated.

What set up have you got? As this does not sound right.  I have Sky Q and Xbox one s connected and it all works, even get Dolby atmos and DTS X. 

What I have found is that HDMI ARC does not support atmos or DTS X. You have connect everything sound bar and then sound bar to tv via ARC.  The only problem I now have is getting one remote to control all as you.  

As ref my setup is:

Tv QF9n 

Sound bar HW-N850

Connections to sound bar

Sky Q

Xbox one s 

Connections to TV

Sound bar via ARC

Cctv 

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Nash76 wrote:

@Peter1952 wrote:

I have the same problem and have been told by my local dealer that it is the SKY Q box connection to the one box that causes the problem. There is some thing in the Samsung One Box that doesnt like SKY Q. Samsung are aware of the problem and are looking for a fix ..... but for how long. In the meantime the fix is to set up the TV/Soundbar without Sky Q connected and then connect Sky Q but this wont last for long on TVArc. The engineer has replaced the HDMI cable with a optical cable which he says is as good and more reliable? So no TV Arc connection. Anyone know if this is an engineer/Samsung load of waffle or is it true? How long have Samsung known about the problem and are they really working on a fix? Any assistance appreciated.

What set up have you got? As this does not sound right.  I have Sky Q and Xbox one s connected and it all works, even get Dolby atmos and DTS X. 

What I have found is that HDMI ARC does not support atmos or DTS X. You have connect everything sound bar and then sound bar to tv via ARC.  The only problem I now have is getting one remote to control all as you.  

As ref my setup is:

Tv QF9n 

Sound bar HW-N850

Connections to sound bar

Sky Q

Xbox one s 

Connections to TV

Sound bar via ARC

Cctv 

The engineer is talking rubbish. HDMI connection is far superior and gives Dolby Digital +  5.1 and 7.1. The HDMI is a far newer standard than optical and the ARC shold send a DD+ signal from Sky to your soulond bar. It sounds like a fault with the TV but  I am not suprised as  opting for the optical is a cheap fix, but you really want the ARC to work. Have you set the SKY box to Dolby Digital + out in the settings. It is stereo by default.

Does ARC work with other sources i.e. from normal telly.

0 Likes
Nash76
Explorer
Options
I totally agree they talking bs. If you happy with dd+ then sky q to tv and arc to sound bar is fine. It worked for me. I only went with my route as I wanted atmos with ARC at present can't do but eARC will in the future.
The only problem I had was the cctv trying to draw power knocking ARC out and causing the issue. Hence using the HDMI cec disable adapter.
0 Likes
Peter1952
First Poster
Options

Thanks for the responses. Firstly I struggle with the technical stuff - even ths controls are a challenge. I purchased the set up in November 2017 all at the same time from a Samsung dealer it is:

TV - Samsung QE49Q7FAMT connected to the Samsung One Box with Peerless Sigma SGHD015 High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet

Blue ray Player - Samsung UBDM9000 connected to the Samsung One Box with Peerless Sigma SGHD015 High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet

Soundbar - Samsung HW-MS750 connected to the Samsung One Box with Peerless Sigma SGHD015 High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet 

Thanks for the info re optical cable which was as I suspected not as good as a HDMI cable. What is the "Minchy HDMI CEC less adaptor" (what adaptor?) cable suggested earlier, is this going to be as good as the cables I am currently using. When working the TV and soundar is great but I am getting tired of calling out an engineer every time the TV Arc drops out - about 8 times in the last 9 months!

0 Likes
Nash76
Explorer
Options
The lindy cec connector will stop anything that is drawing any unnecessary power. There should be no reason for you to have this problem with just using the samsung products as stated. The cables are fine as long as HDMI 2.0 4k compliant.

I only had to use the adaptor as my cctv was causing the issue.
Try and connect the sound bar tv to arc first and see if that works to show ARC connected, then connect SKY Q to, Tv if not bothered about atmos or sound bar if looking for atmos. Baring in mind if your sound bar supports atmos if not then no issues.

If this fails tell samsung you have tried everything and get the board changed on the TV or one connect box.
0 Likes
ab8bit
First Poster
Options

Hi, had a similar problem with LG TV and Samsung Sound+ HW-MS5750, removed other HDMI cables as suggested and the soundbar is now working, will replace each cable until the problem returns. Thanks for the useful tip!

0 Likes
Weblee
First Poster
Options

Mine turned out to be bad cable and corrupted firmware.

Power down the system

Use a cable from another device - I unplugged my blue ray

power back on

if still not working  then reflash firmware - remember to set the input to usb before you reboot as that detail is left out of the instructions

that should get everything working again

0 Likes
Deserteagle1
First Poster
Options

My Hitachi sound bar worked for 12 solid months and suddenly couldn’t play sound on my Samsung TV.Returned the Sound bar for a replacement.Connected it back (HDMI Arc) and was still the same.I switched all the appliances on the mains,waited for 5 minutes and reset the sound to HMDI Arc and it worked fine

0 Likes
Murray89
First Poster
Options

Hello. I am hoping some of you could maybe help with an issue I am having. I have a samsung UE55MU9000 tv and have just purchased the HW-N850 sound bar. I have set it up as it says in the manual but I am having a few issues. Firstly the arc doesn’t seem to work, not sure if this is why I am having issue 2. I have sky hdmi out going to hdmi 1 on sound bar, hdmi out (arc) on sound bar going to hdmi 4(arc) in on the one connect box for tv. It won’t show tv arc on sound bar and I have to change sound bar to hdmi 1 to get sound and sky to come on tv, Maybe this is correct but it’s not what the book says. The manual says sound bar source should be on d.in and it will say tv arc.

Issue 2 is the the sound bar auto turns off when I switch off tv and sky however when I turn on tv it doesn’t come on. As I have sky wired to bar then to tv (for Dolby Atmos reasons) it means the tv says no signal until I turn the bar on. Annoying as it means I need to turn the bar on every time. 

I can’t use optical cable for sound bar which would give me the auto link function as then I won’t get Dolby Atmos. It auto switches off so surely should auto on. Is there something I am missing. Any net + is switched on. 

Thanks in advance for anyone’s help. 

0 Likes
Leg2ion
Pathfinder
Options

Not sure if I am missing something, but, from Page 16 of the user manual:

Connecting using an HDMI Cable (Dolby Atmos® supported) • What is Dolby Atmos®? Atmos technology enhances existing 7.1 channel surround sound systems by adding an overhead speaker. This envelops the listener in 360 degrees of sound, delivering an immersive, high-definition, rich, detailed, and deeper experience.  • Important: This product supports Dolby Atmos® only in HDMI mode.

1. Connect an HDMI cable (not supplied) from the HDMI IN 1 or HDMI IN 2 jack on the bottom of the Soundbar to the HDMI OUT jack on your digital device.

2. Connect an HDMI cable (not supplied) from the HDMI OUT (TV-ARC) jack on the bottom of the Soundbar to the HDMI IN jack on your TV.

3. Press the  (Source) button on the top panel or on the remote control, and then select  “HDMI 1” or “HDMI 2”.

4. “HDMI 1” or “HDMI 2” mode is displayed on the Soundbar display panel and sound plays.

Additionally have you hooked the soundbar up to a network and updated to the latest firmware? The power side of things may depend whether you have auto power on/off enabled. Have you tried just hooking sky up to your TV via the one connect box, then the TV only to the soundbar to see if that makes any difference?

0 Likes