Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung HW-Q80r soundbar not recognizing input devices thru ARC to Samsung TV

(Topic created on: 26-06-2019 01:52 PM)
ProfM
First Poster
Options

I'm at my wits end...

I bought a new Samsung QLED TV (Q80fn) and the new Samsung HW-Q80r soundbar. I connected a Roku Ultra to input 1 on the soundbar and a cable box in the input 2 on the soundbar, then ran the HDMI cable from the ARC output of the soundbar to the ARC input on the TV. The problem is that the TV does not recognize either of the input devices from the soundbar, but if I connect them to the TV directly, they are recognized and registered. I don't want to use an optical cable as that defeats the purpose of having Dolby Atmos, ehich is only available thru ARC.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
scbeme
First Poster
Options

My situation might be related...

Just set up a newly purchase Q80R TV with HW-Q60R Soundbar. TV is not recognizing HDMI devices and Soundbar doesn’t work on the HDMI ARC connection. The optical connection works once manually configured but power is not turned On/Off with the TV remote. The Samsung tech support via remote connect worked on my new setup for over 1.5 hours with no luck. Solution was to mail me (2-3 business days) a firmware patch that is supposed to fix these problems. I really like the picture quality but will be returning the equipment to Best Buy if the firmware patch doesn’t work. Not paying $3000 for equipment that doesn’t work correctly.

0 Likes
Griff--75
Apprentice
Options

Hi, I have the same problem my devices sky box,blu ray player connect to my tv with hdmi leads and my soundbar using the arc to arc hdmi connections. It recognises theres an hdmi lead connected but that's it no sound using the arc connection. I am sure it worked when o first set it up. The only way I get sound is optical or wifi. Doing my head in also we spend alot of money on this equipment and not for it to work out of the box is annoying.

0 Likes
Michrenz4767
First Poster
Options

I just purchased the same equipment and I too only want to connect the soundbar using HDMI and I am having the same issues. I called samsung support and the only thing it came down to was to send the soundbar to them. It is of course under warrenty, but the people from support all agreeded that I need ship it out to them for them to see whats going on with it. 

0 Likes
Griff--75
Apprentice
Options

Hi, I was told to exchange mine so i did and it's still the same but we had a power cut and for some reason the hdmi showed up and worked which lasted about an hour. So today I switched the power of at the plug and back on and it showed up but no sound. I was never told to send to samsung it self. I am still not sure if it's the soundbar or the tv or if samsung actual know theres a bad batch or something.

0 Likes
Redondo_Joe
First Poster
Options

I ran into a simlar issues with a Samsung QLED TV and Samsung HW-Q80r soundbar.  The ARC TV input was not producing sound or staying on the input after shutting down TV for a few hours.  I would have to factory reset my HW-Q80R soundbar to get the sound working again.  I called Samsung support a few times as the problem intermittently occured and they suggest sending in the soundbar for repair 3 weeks after I bought the thing.  I fixed the issue by replacing the HDMI cable used for ARC input/output, turns out the HDMI cable Samsung provided was faulty.

0 Likes
BigMacFullerton
First Poster
Options

Hey Joe, I was just wondering if the HDMI cable turned out to be the problem or if the problem persisted. I had a similar issue today twice where I got no sound after switching from bluray player to regular cable TV. I had to unplug it one time to get it to run again. I did notice there is limited space for the HDMI cable near the ARC port and the cable must be bent 90 to get out of area. This may be damaging the cable...not sure. Anyway just wondering if the cable was the problem in the end. Thanks.

0 Likes
Cfryeusa
First Poster
Options

i have samsung 65 inch Q80 tv and the Hw-Q80R soundbar would not stay connected to ARC HDMI. The TV has 4 HDMI port with number 4 being ARC. I had my Tivo box on 1 Nividia Shield on 2 and Facebook TV on 3. At one point I changed from Tivo to Shield and the TV decided my shild was a Directv box and reset the icon. I decided to unplug everything except the soundbar from 4(ARC) and the soundbar allowed me to switch from WiFi to ARC and Doldy Atmos worked on Netflix. I started plugging things back in Shield in port 1 Tivo in Port 3 and Facebook in port 2. Arc failed when I plugged Facebook tv back in. I disconnected Facebook and ARC worked again. So far no disconnects from ARC. Wondering if I plug facebook into the HDMI port on the soundbar if it would work or cause more interference??

0 Likes